[CODATA-international] Is marketing/promoting any GIS/EO vendor products as “the Science” ethical?

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Apr 5 02:57:37 EDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

I am participating in the Group on Earth Observations (GEO) Ethics, Legal and Policy subgroup [1] meeting on April 8th , 2021.  I would appreciate any information on the following questions, so I can learn more.

Is it ethical for any GIS/EO vendors to trademark or use any aspects of “the Science” for marketing of their brand and products?  If so, what is “the Science”? Is Vendor “sponsored Science” ethical?

What will be the impact of this for our future generations?

Is there any examples of policy guidelines or publications in this area? Thanks.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] https://www.earthobservations.org/data_wg.php

attachment.