[CODATA-international] Digital Preservation Awards 2020

Asha CODATA asha at codata.org
Wed Sep 16 07:16:40 EDT 2020

Digital Preservation Awards season is upon us!
<http://codata.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/LM-2020DPA-blogpost.jpg>Celebrating
excellence in maintaining our digital legacy, the Digital Preservation
Awards take place every two years and I’m delighted to be one of this
year’s judges[1].

Digital preservation is a compelling research area as well as the
technological bedrock of data infrastructure, and as such the resources and
community of the Digital Preservation Coalition are invaluable resources
for my work here at CODATA.

How does digital preservation connect to research data?  Preservation,
including appraisal, selection and storage decision-making, is fundamental
in any effort towards making and keeping digital research data findable,
comprehensible and reusable.

Judging is a fantastic way to get better informed on the global digital
preservation community – it’s a chance to wade through a large stack of
interesting, innovative and sometimes surprising ideas showing the range
and diversity of recent activity in digital preservation. Projects include
technical development, community building and skills development
activities, all of which are necessary for digital preservation to happen.
Each nominated project must be formally supported by a senior colleague – a
useful way to ensure that each organisation is aware of the innovative work
being developed by their staff.

How do we handle such a range of different types of work? Nominations are
sorted into six broad categories, with a prize going to the winner of each
category. This year, categories are:

   - Communication and Collaboration
   - Research and Innovation
   - Teaching and Communication
   - Commerce, Industry and The Third Sector
   - Best Student Work
   - Safeguarding the Digital Legacy

Each category is assessed on ten separate criteria and we are looking for
things like usability, community engagement, value for money, transparency
and ethical design, plus that elusive sparkle and verve in the projects
that we review. The shortlist we have decided upon will soon be open to
voting by DPC members. Our next step will then be to interview finalists
and delve deeper into each project. The winner of each category will be
announced on World Digital Preservation Day[2], 5th of November 2020.

To find out more about the work of the Digital Preservation Coalition – and
the Digital Preservation Awards – please visit https://www.dpconline.org,
or follow @dpc_chat on Twitter.

Laura Molloy
CODATA Senior Research Lead
Tw: @LM_HATII

[1] https://www.dpconline.org/events/digital-preservation-awards/judges
[2] https://www.dpconline.org/events/world-digital-preservation-day
Thanks,
Asha
--

___________________________

*TWO WEEKS TO GO! DEADLINE FOR SESSION PROPOSALS 30 SEPT: **International
Virtual FAIR Convergence Symposium 2020, 30 Nov-4 Dec:* Registration Open
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/international-fair-convergence-symposium-registration-105931185026>
 | Call for Sessions, deadline 30 Sept
<https://conference.codata.org/FAIRconvergence2020/> | Call for posters and
lightning talks, deadline 31 Oct
<https://conference.codata.org/FAIRconvergence2020/>

*August 2020 publications*
<https://codata.org/august-2020-publications-in-the-data-science-journal/> in
the CODATA Data Science Journal <https://datascience.codata.org/>

*Stay in touch with CODATA:*

Stay up to date with CODATA activities: join the CODATA International News
list
<http://lists.codata.org/mailman/listinfo/codata-international_lists.codata.org>

Looking for training and career opportunities in data science and data
stewardship?  Sign up to the CODATA early career community-run data
science training and careers list
<http://lists.codata.org/mailman/listinfo/data_science_training_lists.codata.org>

Follow us on social media! Twitter <https://twitter.com/CODATANews> -
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/codata.org/> - LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/simon-hodson-b3711a11/> - Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/codatainternational/>

Asha Law | Program Assistant, CODATA | http://www.codata.org

E-Mail: asha at codata.org
Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96

CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Council for Science), 5 rue
Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE