[CODATA-international] Individual costs and benefits of sharing open data

Dominique Roche dom.g.roche at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 12:14:37 EDT 2020

Dear all,

A graduate student and I have recently published a preprint that might be
of interest to the CODATA community:* Individual costs and benefits of
sharing open data in ecology and evolution *(https://ecoevorxiv.org/473pn/).
I am pasting the abstract below and summarized our results in these tweets
<https://twitter.com/dom_roche/status/1313186306571239425?s=20>.

*Abstract:* Open data facilitate reproducibility and accelerate scientific
discovery but are hindered by perceptions that researchers bear costs and
gain few benefits from publicly sharing their data,with limited empirical
evidence to the contrary. We surveyed 140 faculty members working in
ecology and evolution across Canada’s top 20-ranked universities and found
that more researchers report benefits (47.9%) and neutral outcomes (43.6%)
than costs (21.4%) from sharing data. Benefits were independent of career
stage and gender, but men and early career researchers were more likely to
report costs.We outline proposed mechanisms to reduce individual costs of
data sharing and increase benefits.

We would welcome feedback from anyone who is interested and has time.
Best wishes,
Dom Roche

---

Dominique Roche