[CODATA-international] Data Ethics

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Nov 11 05:28:40 EST 2020

The working draft of Locus Charter attached. For more information please contact  benchmark at geovation.uk<mailto:benchmark at geovation.uk>

Best wishes,

Suchith

________________________________
From: CODATA-international <codata-international-bounces at lists.codata.org> on behalf of Suchith Anand <Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk>
Sent: 10 November 2020 12:17
To: CODATA International <codata-international at lists.codata.org>
Subject: [CODATA-international] Data Ethics

Dear colleagues,

Please find the summary slides from the Data Ethics ThinkTank [1]. My thanks to colleagues at EthicalGeo, Benchmark Initiative and representatives of all organisations for their contributions to the Data Ethics ThinkTank.

The Locus Charter is a proposed international set of principles and guidance for ethical and responsible practice when using location data. I request you to be the champions of Locus Charter in your organisations and request your organisations to support the Locus Charter.

The ThinkTank slides  at

https://www.slideshare.net/SuchithAnand/data-ethics-think-tank-overview

https://www.slideshare.net/SuchithAnand/locus-charter-presentation

https://www.slideshare.net/SuchithAnand/godan-agriculture-code-of-conduct-toolkit

BenchMark Initiative  https://benchmarkinitiative.com<https://benchmarkinitiative.com/>

EthicalGEO https://ethicalgeo.org<https://ethicalgeo.org/>

Agriculture Data Code of Conduct Toolkit https://www.godan.info/codes

Article on Ethical Dimensions of Digital Feudalism in Agriculture  https://www.godan.info/news/ethical-dimensions-digital-feudalism-agriculture

The rise of Digital Feudalism, Data Colonialism, Data extraction not only raises questions over who controls, owns and benefits from the value of data, it also raises ethical questions related to privacy, accuracy and accessibility. This, in turn, leads to questions around the rise of digital monopolies and the power imbalance that could create; as well as the resulting data asymmetry and its impact on the global society. It is essential that we advance the dialogue on developing ethical principles and solutions as a means to help address these issues.

Data Ethics and Ethical frameworks in governance at all levels (from global to national to local) are important to protect democracy, protect human rights, prevent corruption, reduce nepotism etc.

Best wishes,

Suchith

Dr. Suchith Anand

Chief Scientist

Global Open Data for Agriculture and Nutrition

https://www.godan.info<https://www.godan.info/>

attachment.

where permitted by law.