[CODATA-international] Brown (2020) Big Secret in the Academy (article) on Open Access and lack thereof

Hans Pfeiffenberger hp at hans-pfeiffenberger.de
Thu May 28 14:40:35 EDT 2020

Dear Fraser,

what I actually meant to suggest is, to have the "full story", with
pertinent details, such as, here:

- how did these companies come to know of this Indigenous knowledge?
- what was that knowledge about, in detail?
- what or which derivative of that knowledge did the company claim to own?
- what was the legal device they used? (patent?)
- did the indigenous people suffer any negative consequences beyond
not getting a fair financial share.

About the last three questions: As to my knowledge, you cannot patent
or "copyright" generic "knowledge".
AFAIK, if someone just copyrights a description of knowledge (before
patenting any application), everybody can make use of it.

best,

Hans