[CODATA-international] UNESCO Global Consultations on Open Science - Diagram Paul Berkman adapted

Hans Pfeiffenberger hp at hans-pfeiffenberger.de
Sat May 2 08:27:16 EDT 2020

Dear Paul,

Am 01.05.20 um 17:30 schrieb Berkman, Paul A:
> we are working with effectively infinite and instantaneous
> information access in our digital era.

I think you might reconsider this statement a bit, in light of the
current pandemic:

There is "The Reality" of infections happening, and in the
"Information Space" the point in time when these infections can be
seen in PDF-statistics or on (public or confidential) dashboards. Not
only is there a delay due to the asymptomatic-while-infectious period
(which could only be overcome by daily testing of all or of a
representative sample), but then a delay due to the processing of
tests plus delays in reporting which typically add up to some days
(almost a week?). The only thing which is instantaneous about that is
the access to these results after reporting and collating is finished
(e.g., the Johns Hopkins site; these people are doing an amazing job!)

=> This leads to consequences of decisions to be noticed only after
two to three weeks or so, rather than one week (including incubation
time).

Also, as to "infinite", I am afraid we know next to nothing about many
countries - whether these countries don't have the economic capacity
or the logistics to acquire the data or prefer not to disclose them.

=> This will lead to widespread uncertainty about how and when to
resume global (or even trans-national) trade and travel.

Of course, both of these observations lead to my previous points about
openness and real-time operations (and trust), as desirables for the
future.

best,

Hans

--
Hans Pfeiffenberger
Consultant, scientific data infrastructures & policies