[CODATA-international] UNESCO Global Consultations on Open Science - Diagram Paul Berkman adapted

Dora Canhos dora at cria.org.br
Fri May 1 11:27:15 EDT 2020

Good morning Fraser,

I was focused on that diagram from research to informed decisions, thinking on data providers, users and those involved with the continuous development of e-infrastructures that help promote this network of people, that basically are, in my opinion, responsible not only for the data and evidence but for new insights and innovation. The beauty when thinking of such systems is the possibility of eliminating/reducing boundaries, being able to involve people with different expertises and cultures that may have different questions that require different data and produce different evidence, and perhaps new decisions or policies. It may make things more complex or complicated, but much richer.

So when mentioning the "human factor" I meant explicitly showing the importance of people that promote and require all mechanisms to communicate, interact, provide and use data, create new demands, and so on.

So back to your question if I consider politics as part of the human factor. For me, politics and policy are central.

All the best,
Dora

​​Dora Ann Lange Canhos
CRIA - Centro de Referência em Informação Ambiental
+55 19 32880466
www.cria.org.br
blog.cria.org.br