[CODATA-international] INFORMED DECISIONMAKING RE: Data Together COVID-19 Appeal and Actions

Falk Huettmann fhuettmann at alaska.edu
Mon Mar 30 13:42:41 EDT 2020

Dear all,

thanks;
so as we frequently find with medical data specifically,
those are not really shared, made available, used well, and the hospitals
are usually the LAST ones to do so; as is the medical profession,
e.g. Chief Surgeons, local clinics and professional organizations and
societies.
That's despite their huge salaries and sums spent on 'health'
and public health, on One Health projects and all such lipservices.

COVID-19 shows us no other, nor the 'great' OneHealth agencies,
funders and science institutions and organizations.
Just see the Arctic etc.
We never said any other.

Or how about a (children) leukemia data base for Germany,
or all EU & Asian Avian Influenza, or Rabies data shared properly,
with coordinates and ISO-metadata and published and well-analyzed?

It seems not to matter, nor do people really care.
I am not aware much that libraries demand those data for their
repositories neither, nor are many medical degrees having that
on their agenda, skill set and syllabi, at all. Add vets to that.

So here then is an action item for ICSU, CODATA, NSF, EU, UN
and all those 'grand ones' to resolve, fast please, for a massive cultural
change.
And yes, the pharmaceutical industry fuels much of it; so one would tackle
those the most then.

Just an idea for those who have none.

Very best and please keep me posted
   Falk Huettmann PhD, Professor
    Uni of Alaska Fairbanks

PS If you see public global COVID-19 data, compiled and authoritative with
coordinates and time and.or DNA, and metadata,
please kindly advise.