[CODATA-international] ‘UNESCO Open Science Recommendation’

Maheswar Mikki stmmrv at verizon.net
Sat Dec 26 08:48:38 EST 2020

12/26/2020

Please see a $B!F(Bcopy of my Message of 12/26/2020$B!G(B sent this morning to
IUPAC, which directly relates to the $B!F(BIssue I raised in my Message to you
on 12/25/2020$B!G(B (below):

Thanks,

Maheswar

Contact Information Form

Thank you for contacting IUPAC.  2,618  12/26/2020 8:24 AM

Hi:  I have a simple Q (I am a retired Engineer, not a Chemist).

Q: When we say the 'mass of carbon atom, 12C, is 12 Da.', is this an
experimental-value?

What I meant to ask is this:  Did a Chemist, actually, determine that the
mass of 12C in an experiment in the Lab.?

[Why am I asking this Q?  Simply because 'I question if 12C contains only
Z=6, N=6 or what if Z=6, N>6 or 12 ' ?

That meant if 12C has Z=6, it may have N=12:  if so, 12C mass could be 18
Da.--we can ONLY determine that in an experiment in a Lab., not
otherwise--do you agree?]

I saw this article (see below)--that doesn't tell me much (other than giving
Eqs.)--no experimental data for mass of 12C:

Pure and Applied Chemistry

Volume 88: Issue 3

Atomic weights of the elements 2013 (IUPAC Technical Report)

Juris Meija et. al.

Published online: 24 Feb 2016

DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/pac-2015-0305

1.1 Atomic weight of an element

The atomic mass, ma, of an unbound neutral atom of carbon-12, ma(12C), in
its nuclear and electronic ground states is 12 Da exactly, where Da is the
symbol for unified atomic mass unit, and alternative symbol is u. The atomic
weight (also called the relative atomic mass) of isotope iE of element E,
symbol Ar(iE), in material P is

Ar(iE)P=ma(iE)Pma(12C)/12=ma(iE)PDa(1)(1)

Thus, the atomic mass of 12C is 12 Da, and the atomic weight of 12C is 12
exactly. All other atomic weight values are ratios to the 12C standard value
and thus are dimensionless numbers. The atomic weight of element E, Ar(E),
in a material P is determined from the relation

Ar(E)P=$B-t(B[x(iE)P$B!_(BAr(iE)](2)(2)

where x(iE)P is the amount fraction of isotope iE in material P (also called
the isotopic abundance).

The summation is over all stable isotopes of the element plus selected
radioactive isotopes (having relatively long half-lives and characteristic
terrestrial isotopic compositions) of the element. The atomic weight, Ar(E),
of element E in a material can be determined from knowledge of the atomic
masses of the isotopes of that element and the corresponding amount
fractions of the isotopes of that element in the material. In contrast to
the atomic weight of an element in any given material, the standard atomic
weight is a quantity that represents the atomic weights of an element in
normal terrestrial materials and, therefore, must be given with larger
uncertainty for some elements than the measured atomic weight in any given
material. Isotopes contributing to the determination of the atomic weight of
an element include (1) all stable isotopes (not known to be radioactive), of
which there are 252, and (2) selected radioactive isotopes that have
relatively long half-lives and characteristic terrestrial isotopic
compositions, of which there are 37. A radioactive isotope of an element is
said to have a characteristic terrestrial isotopic composition [13] if it
contributes significantly and reproducibly to the determination of the
standard atomic weight of the element in normal materials.