[CODATA-international] Crowdsourcing a collection of papers with Sustainable Development Goals

Jean-Claude BURGELMAN Jean-Claude.Burgelman at vub.be
Mon Aug 24 15:44:32 EDT 2020

I fully support your view

Best regards
JcB

Op 24 aug. 2020 om 19:01 heeft Simon Hodson, ED CODATA <simon at codata.org> het volgende geschreven:

 Dear Geoffrey, all;

In the CODATA-coordinated submission to the UNESCO Consultation on Open Science,<https://codata.org/open-science-for-a-global-transformation-codata-coordinated-submission-to-the-unesco-open-science-consultation/> we stated clearly the view that “Paywall publishing does not serve the interests of (publicly-funded) science and the profit margins of the traditional publishers, largely from public funding, are unacceptable.”  In agreement with ISC, we recommended that “scholarly publishing needs fundamentally reenvisioning such that it is unambiguously put to the service of science as a global public good.”  These views are also being articulated in the discussions of the UNESCO Open Science Advisory Committee, of which I am vice-chair<https://en.unesco.org/science-sustainable-future/open-science/advisory-committee>.

Elsevier’s profit margins (34% in 2019) and negotiating practices led to responses from a number of countries and universities (see MIT Factsheet<https://libraries.mit.edu/scholarly/publishing/elsevier-fact-sheet/> and University of California<https://osc.universityofcalifornia.edu/uc-publisher-relationships/uc-and-elsevier/>).

The appearance of Anita’s post on the CODATA International list elicited a number of expressions of concern, in the light of which we reminded subscribers to the list that it is open to third party posts and the appearance of a given third party post does not imply the endorsement of CODATA (message reproduced below).

I would be reluctant to apply a ‘no platform’ policy and do not think that the analogy holds between a discussion list for data issues (albeit with 3000 subscribers) and the ‘GAFA' social media platforms in the way that Geoffrey suggests.  I would prefer to let subscribers decide whether the initiative advertised is ‘green-washing’ or ’SDG-washing’ or is something of interest.  In this instance, ’no-platforming’ such posts feels to me too much like blocking information to an informed community.

I would be interested to hear views from other subscribers on this matter in general and specifically whether you would prefer that the CODATA Secretariat should filter more actively posts that are sent to the CODATA International list by third party organisations?

With very best wishes,

Simon.
___________________________

Education for Data Science - A Collaborative Workshop: Call for abstracts, deadline 31 August<https://codata.org/invitation-to-participate-in-an-important-workshop-on-education-for-data-science/>

NEW DATES, NEW DEADLINE! International Virtual FAIR Convergence Symposium 2020, 30 Nov-4 Dec: Registration Open<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/international-fair-convergence-symposium-registration-105931185026> | Call for Sessions, deadline 30 Sept<https://conference.codata.org/FAIRconvergence2020/> | Call for posters and lightning talks, deadline 31 Oct<https://conference.codata.org/FAIRconvergence2020/>

July<https://codata.org/july-2020-publications-in-the-data-science-journal/> 2020 publications<https://codata.org/blog/2020/07/01/june-2020-publications-in-the-data-science-journal/> in the CODATA Data Science Journal<https://datascience.codata.org/>

Stay in touch with CODATA:

Follow us on social media! Twitter<https://twitter.com/CODATANews> - Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/codata.org/> - LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/simon-hodson-b3711a11/> - Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/codatainternational/>
Dr Simon Hodson | Executive Director CODATA | http://www.codata.org

E-Mail: simon at codata.org<mailto:simon at codata.org> | Twitter: @simonhodson99 | Skype: simonhodson99
Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96 | Tel (Cell): +33 6 86 30 42 59

CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Science Council), 5 rue Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE