[CODATA-international] The CODATA-RDA Research Data Science Summer School: Alumni Review and Refresh Online: 31 Aug – 11 Sep 2020 (Virtual)

Asha CODATA asha at codata.org
Fri Aug 14 06:45:42 EDT 2020

This year the CODATA/RDA Summer School will be going online!  There will be
no face-to-face School at Trieste in 2020.

Instead, we are delighted to offer a virtual CODATA/RDA School of Research
Data Science alumni event.  *This event is specially designed for those who
have attended a previous edition of the School.  However, application is
also open to other interested participants who can demonstrate an
equivalent level of knowledge of the CODATA/RDA School of Research
Data Science curriculum topics (**listed here*
<https://codata.org/initiatives/strategic-programme/research-data-science-summer-schools/datatrieste-2019/>
*). *

We invite all of our past students to join us online to review, update and
refresh training strategies for each of the curriculum sections that were
covered during our previous Schools. Our goal is to help our alumni become
more confident in sharing their learning and to train others.

*Apply to participate before the deadline of 24 August:*
http://indico.ictp.it/event/9113/overview

Students will be provided beforehand with preparatory reading to remind
themselves of the topics they have previously learnt. Over a period of two
weeks (31 Aug – 11 Sep 2020), students will attend regular virtual sessions
(1-2 hours per day) on each of the individual topics previously taught.
This session will include a short review of the topic, any updates on the
topic that have been recently introduced, and strategies for instructing in
this curriculum area (preparation, key teaching points, how to arrange the
hands-on sessions, etc.)

Students are expected to come prepared and be familiar with topic areas
prior to the virtual sessions.  We will not be re-teaching the material –
this is all about reviewing your knowledge and re-inspiring your own
teaching.  These sessions will provide participants with the chance to
build on their existing knowledge and move forward with refreshed teaching
techniques and recharged energy.  We look forward to seeing you (again)!

For further information on the programme, speakers and to apply to
participate, please see http://indico.ictp.it/event/9113/overview

Thanks,

Asha
--
___________________________

*Education for Data Science:* Call for abstracts, deadline 31 August
<https://codata.org/invitation-to-participate-in-an-important-workshop-on-education-for-data-science/>

*NEW DATES, NEW DEADLINE! **International Virtual FAIR
Convergence Symposium 2020, 30 Nov-4 Dec:* Registration Open
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/international-fair-convergence-symposium-registration-105931185026>
 | Call for Sessions, deadline 30 Sept
<https://conference.codata.org/FAIRconvergence2020/> | Call for posters and
lightning talks, deadline 31 Oct
<https://conference.codata.org/FAIRconvergence2020/>

*Open Science for a Global Transformation:* CODATA-coordinated submission
to the UNESCO Open Science Consultation
<https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3935461>

*CODATA International Data Policy Committee:* Mark Leggott appointed
as chair
<https://codata.org/mark-leggott-appointed-chair-of-the-codata-international-data-policy-committee/>

<http://codata.org/blog/2020/08/04/july-2020-publications-in-the-data-science-journal/>*July
<https://codata.org/july-2020-publications-in-the-data-science-journal/> 2020
publications
<https://codata.org/blog/2020/07/01/june-2020-publications-in-the-data-science-journal/>*
in
the CODATA Data Science Journal <https://datascience.codata.org/>

*Stay in touch with CODATA:*

Stay up to date with CODATA activities: join the CODATA International News
list
<http://lists.codata.org/mailman/listinfo/codata-international_lists.codata.org>

Looking for training and career opportunities in data science and data
stewardship?  Sign up to the CODATA early career community-run data
science training and careers list
<http://lists.codata.org/mailman/listinfo/data_science_training_lists.codata.org>

Follow us on social media! Twitter <https://twitter.com/CODATANews> -
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/codata.org/> - LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/simon-hodson-b3711a11/> - Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/codatainternational/>

Asha Law | Program Assistant, CODATA | http://www.codata.org

E-Mail: asha at codata.org
Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96

CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Council for Science), 5 rue
Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE