[CODATA-international] [EXTERNAL] - Re: October 2019: Publications in the Data Science Journal

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 4 17:14:53 EST 2019

All,

This seems a good moment to reference GO FAIR's "FAIR Funder Implementation Study" [1], which is intended to address this very idea, by offering an example of an end-to-end "virtuous cycle" of FAIR data (described by FAIR metadata) that is initiated by the funding agencies.

Whether the chosen incentive is "the last slug" of money, or "the next round" of money, might be different for different agencies. But having a robust ecosystem in which it is easy to determine the products of previous funding cycles—and how FAIR and open those products are—is one of those "everyone wins" exercises, if it can be funded and is executed effectively.

(Full disclosure, CEDAR [2] is one of the founding technology contributors of this project.)

John

[1] https://www.go-fair.org/today/fair-funder/
[2] https://metadatacenter.org