[CODATA-international] FAIRsFAIR Workshop: Building the data landscape of the future: FAIR Semantics and FAIR Repositories

Asha CODATA asha at codata.org
Tue Jul 30 02:59:30 EDT 2019

*Date: *22 October 2019 - 09:00
*Location:*  Espoo, Finland

Help us design the data landscape of the future!

We're gathering recommendations, features and best practices for FAIR
semantic artifacts and data repositories/infrastructures!

Register now ►
<https://www.fairsfair.eu/form/building-data-landscape-future-registration>

Producing FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable) scientific
data depends on the use of data repositories and domain-specific semantic
models or artifacts such as ontologies, thesauri, and controlled
vocabularies to properly describe data.  When artifacts and repositories
are heterogeneous it's impossible to create the harmonised framework needed
to achieve FAIRness.

   - How should a repository look to allow for truly FAIR data?
   - How can we enable distributed queries and data aggregation across
   heterogeneous repositories?
   - Semantics are a vital part of making other data FAIR. But how FAIR are
   our semantic artifacts? What can we recommend to ensure we build
   FAIR-by-design semantic artifacts?

Semantics experts, maintainers of semantic registries and data
repositories, and representatives from infrastructures are cordially
invited to brainstorm with us about how to remedy the shortcomings for
FAIRness and interoperability of current semantic resources/artifacts and
data repositories. The outcomes from the two parallel sessions, one
tackling aspects of FAIR semantics and the other FAIR and interoperable
repositories, will inform our initial recommendations.

This workshop is organised by the FAIRsFAIR work package “ FAIR Practices:
Semantics, Interoperability, and Services
<https://www.fairsfair.eu/fair-practices-semantics-interoperability-and-services>”
and will be held as a co-located event to the RDA plenary
<https://www.rd-alliance.org/plenaries/rdas-14th-plenary-helsinki-finland> on
October 22, 2019.

*Time:* 9:00 to 17:30
*Place:* Espoo, Finland.
*Venue:* CSC (https://www.csc.fi/ ) (10 minutes' walk from Aalto
University, venue for most of the RDA events.)

The event is free of charge but places are limited to 60 people, therefore
registration is needed.

Register now ►
<https://www.fairsfair.eu/form/building-data-landscape-future-registration>
Getting there

The easiest way to get to CSC is by metro (M1 and M2). The stop
is Keilaniemi, exit G. All metros, both to the direction of Tapiola and
Matinkylä from the Helsinki City Centre, stop at Keilaniemi station. Please
find more detailed timetables and routes from the Helsinki Region
Transport's *Journey Planner*: http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/

Airport to the city. From the Helsinki Airport you can reach the city
centre by train, bus, taxi or car. See detailed information form the
Helsinki Airport website
www.finavia.fi/en/airports/helsinki-airport/parking-access/train-and-buses
 and www.finavia.fi/en/airports/helsinki-airport/parking-access/taxis.
<http://www.finavia.fi/en/airports/helsinki-airport/parking-access/taxis>
Recommended Hotels

The closest hotel of CSC is Radisson Blu Espoo
<http://www.radissonblu.fi/hotelli-espoo>, which is in a walking distance
(500m). Another hotel close to the venue (1,8 km) is Sokos Hotel Tapiola
Garden <http://www.sokoshotels.fi/hotellit/espoo/>.

Other hotels are located in the Helsinki City Centre, with a frequent metro
connection to Keilaranta, Espoo:

   - Scandic Simonkenttä
   <https://www.scandichotels.com/hotels/finland/helsinki/scandic-simonkentta>
   - Radisson Blu Royal <http://www.radissonblu.fi/royalhotelli-helsinki>
   - Sokos Hotel Presidentti <http://www.sokoshotelpresidentti.fi/>
   - Sokos Hotel Vaakuna <http://www.sokoshotels.fi/?id=810>

Also nearby: Holiday Inn Helsinki West.
<http://www.finland.holidayinn.com/hotellit/helsinki-west/fi_FI/helsinki-west/>

Many of the hotels in the city centre are in a walking distance from Kamppi
or Rautatientori metro stations.

If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact: event-support at csc.fi
Thanks,
Asha
--

Asha Law | Program Assistant, CODATA | http://www.codata.org

E-Mail: asha at codata.org
Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96

CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Council for Science), 5 rue
Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE