[CODATA-international] Growing the Conversation on the Science of Data

Asha CODATA asha at codata.org
Mon Apr 29 11:07:22 EDT 2019

*CODATA is pleased to announce Mark Parsons as the new Editor-in-Chief of
the Data Science Journal.*

In his blog post, Mark writes: 'I am especially interested in helping DSJ
build its niche as an influential journal of the ‘science of data’ in the
sense that CODATA described it decades ago. We need more fora that
encourage dialog across research and practice to understand all the issues
around the socio-technical work necessary for data to be findable,
accessible, interoperable, reusable, ethical, secure, etc.’ ...

'I have been a member of the DSJ editorial board since the journal moved to
Ubiquity Press, and I have been impressed at how Sarah Callaghan and other
editors have worked to increase the journal’s quality. I want to continue
this momentum. I want to further bolster the review quality and also
raise the possibility of open reviews. The nature of DSJ is that it often
attracts submissions and requires reviews from practitioners who have much
less of a mandate to publish than researchers. I believe practitioners
should be encouraged to contribute (with research as well as practice
papers), so we should do what we can to recognize and model excellent
contributions in this area. ...

'Thanks to Sarah’s great work, DSJ has a bright future as submissions
continue to increase in number and quality. DSJ was ahead of its time when
it was founded in the 1990s. I am eager to explore how it can continue to
push important conversations forward. I welcome all your ideas. Please tell
me what you think. Better yet, tell the community through a submission to
DSJ *https://datascience.codata.org/submit/start*/
<https://datascience.codata.org/submit/start/> !

Read more at *http://codata.org/blog/2019/04/29/mark-parsons-joins-codata-as-editor-in-chief-data-science-journal/
<http://codata.org/blog/2019/04/29/mark-parsons-joins-codata-as-editor-in-chief-data-science-journal/>*

*Mark replaces Sarah Callaghan, who has served since 2015, when the Data
Science Journal was moved to its current platform with Ubiquity Press.*

*Sarah writes:*

'In my four year tenure, I am very proud of the fact that 135 papers have
been published, along with 6 Special Collections with another 5 Special
Collections in the pipeline. The journal has grown more popular and is
steadily publishing research that is more impactful as time goes on
[*https://www.scimagojr.com/journalsearch.php?q=4700152809&tip=sid
<https://www.scimagojr.com/journalsearch.php?q=4700152809&tip=sid>*], and
this is a testament to the hard work of all involved – including our
reviewers and authors.

'It is time for me to hand over the role of EiC to another, and it is with
no small amount of sadness that I do so. Being EiC has been incredibly
rewarding (and occasionally infuriating) and I have learned a great deal
from it. I am very pleased to know that Mark Parsons is taking over the
role, and know that the journal will be in safe, knowledgeable hands.

'It only remains for me to say my farewells and thank yous. Thank you to
the authors, without whom there would be no articles to publish. A thousand
thank yous to all my editors, reviewers, colleagues and friends – your
efforts on behalf of the journal are deeply, deeply appreciated, as is your
wisdom and expertise. I wish you all the very best for the future, and look
forward to reading more excellent papers published in the DSJ!’

Read more at *http://codata.org/blog/2019/04/29/so-long-and-thanks-for-all-the-fish-a-farewell-from-outgoing-data-science-journal-editor-in-chief-sarah-callaghan/
<http://codata.org/blog/2019/04/29/so-long-and-thanks-for-all-the-fish-a-farewell-from-outgoing-data-science-journal-editor-in-chief-sarah-callaghan/>
*

Thanks,
Asha

--

Asha Law | Program Assistant, CODATA | http://www.codata.org

E-Mail: asha at codata.org
Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96

CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Council for Science), 5 rue
Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE