[CODATA-international] DDI 4 Prototype Release

Wackerow, Joachim Joachim.Wackerow at gesis.org
Mon Oct 29 05:03:01 EDT 2018

Announcement

The DDI Alliance released a prototype of DDI 4. DDI 4 is a large UML model library for describing research and other data. Subsets of the library--called views--are provided for specific user perspectives. Encodings in other technologies, XML Schema and OWL/RDF, are available as well.

DDI 4 has potential as a metadata standard for cross-domain research data. Large parts of DDI 4 are independent from the social science domain. Especially in the areas of data description, conceptual, and workflows (for process description), DDI 4 will be useful for a cross-domain approach. The DDI 4 data description is based on two powerful techniques: first, the datum-based approach which enables the description of data in many forms (also data lakes and legacy forms); second, the variable cascade which links conceptual definitions down to the instance variable.

The current DDI 4 is a prototype release. We would like to get comments on this early release from the broader community. The comments will enable further focused development work on DDI 4.

The download and further details are available at the DDI 4 Comment and Review Page<https://ddi-alliance.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DDI4/pages/491666/DDI+4+-+Comment+and+Review>.

Existing versions of DDI (DDI Codebook and DDI Lifecycle<http://www.ddialliance.org/explore-documentation>) have been used extensively to describe the data produced by surveys and other observational methods in the social, behavioral, economic, and health sciences. They can document and manage different stages in the research data lifecycle, such as conceptualization, collection, processing, distribution, discovery, and archiving.

Joachim Wackerow
Scientific Board Chair, DDI Alliance

--
GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences
Team: Archive Instruments and Metadata Standards