[CODATA-international] Best Wishes for the December Solstice and Related Holidays

Asha CODATA asha at codata.org
Sat Dec 22 09:37:19 EST 2018

[image: image.png]

The December solstice was 22:23 UTC on Friday 21 December, so this comes a
‘little’ late.  Nevertheless, I would like to send the warmest best wishes
to everyone involved in CODATA activities and to the wider global research
data community.  *2018 has been a significant year for CODATA and you may
find some of the following interesting:*

*‘A milestone in the history of science’:* the redefinition of the
International System of Units was based on the work of *CODATA and the Task
Group for Fundamental Constants
<http://www.codata.org/news/295/62/A-milestone-in-the-history-of-science-based-on-work-of-the-CODATA-the-Committee-on-Data-of-the-International-Science-Council>*
.

*International Data Week*, held in Gaborone, Botswana was an enormous
success with 850 participants.  Selected paper will be published in the *CODATA
Data Science Journal*. <https://datascience.codata.org/>

*The vision and strategy for the African Open Science Platform
<https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.2222418>* was launched at Science Forum
South Africa, in a *presentation by co-chair Khotso Mokhele
<https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.2357337>*.  A founding members’ meeting
will be hosted at the Biblioteca Alexandrina later in 2019.

The *ISC CODATA initiative on Data Interoperability Integration for
Interdisciplinary Research <http://dataintegration.codata.org/>*made
progress, notably through a very successful *Dagstuhl Workshop co-organised
with the DDI Alliance
<https://ddi-alliance.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DDI4/pages/433553433/Interoperability+of+Metadata+Standards+in+Cross-Domain+Science+Health+and+Social+Science+Applications>:*
this
will result in a series of articles on data integration challenges in
cross-disciplinary research areas.

Other notable activities include the work of the* Data Policy Committee
<http://www.codata.org/strategic-initiatives/international-data-policy-committee>*,
a major contribution to the European Commission report on *Turning FAIR
into Reality <https://doi.org/10.2777/1524>* and the ongoing series of
*CODATA-RDA
Data Schools
<http://www.codata.org/working-groups/research-data-science-summer-schools>*
.

Finally, we are grateful for the enormous contribution that Past President
Geoffrey Boulton has made to CODATA.  The CODATA General Assembly at the
University of Botswana 9-10 November elected *a new President, Barend Mons,
and a new Executive Committee*.
<http://www.codata.org/news/296/62/New-CODATA-Executive-Committee-2018-2020>
 *We look forward to further increasing CODATA’s impact and to promoting
international collaboration for Open Science and FAIR data.*

*Thanks,*

*Asha*

On behalf of Simon Hodson, Executive Director, CODATA

--

Asha Law | Program Assistant, CODATA | http://www.codata.org

E-Mail: asha at codata.org
Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96

CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Council for Science), 5 rue
Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE