[CODATA-international] Education key for tackling Global Warming

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Dec 4 01:29:57 EST 2018

Dear colleagues,

I understand that some of our colleagues are now at COP24 in Katowice, Poland and  I would like to send our greetings to everyone at COP24.

One of our Open Source GIS labs established at the UNEP/GRID-Warsaw Centre in Poland has been doing pioneering work on Environmental Management , Active Education over many years that I would like to share their work and invite ideas for future collaborations.

https://www.gridw.pl/en/opensourcegeolab

I had the opportunity to visit them at their offices in Warsaw some years back and was very impressed with the work they are doing. One of the work that they showed that greatly inspired me was the GIS at School  http://www.edugis.pl/en/images/stories/guide/gis-at-school.pdf

There are lot of Lesson scenarios they made available at http://edugis.pl/en/for-teachers/guide

This is a great resource for teachers and students to get more ideas . By using GIS in school education makes it easier for students to understand processes occurring in the natural environment. It then leads to seeking, determining and analyzing relationships between different elements of the natural environment and between the natural environment and societal and economic phenomena and processes. This understanding and knowledge will help these students and future decision makers to contribute to sustainiable development without harming the natural environment and mitigating climate change effects.

I am grateful to everyone who works for Open education ideas globally. Wherever you are , you are the voice of GeoForAll.

Best wishes,

Suchith

attachment.

where permitted by law.