[CODATA-international] Data Science Journal, Call for Papers 'Special Issue: 20 Years Persistent Identifiers'

Simon CODATA simon at codata.org
Thu Aug 18 05:32:35 EDT 2016

Call for Papers: 'Special Issue: 20 Years Persistent Identifiers’, Data Science Journal
Persistent identifiers (PID) for scholarly resources have been around now for more than 20 years. Since the initial launch of the Handle.net we have seen a proliferation of PID into many use cases. Some PID systems have become established parts of the science information infrastructure, in other areas we are seeing work in progress, and new use cases being proposed. In addition to the PID use cases a number of critical questions arise. These include:
What progress has been made - what works and what lessons have we learned?
Are there key gaps in the ways that research outputs are structured, accredited and exposed?
How are issues of interoperability between different PID systems to be handled, and what are the implications of doing so?
How do we ensure trust in PIDs and their long-term sustainability? What is the relationship between PIDs, metrics and data quality?
What are the roles of the various stakeholders, e.g. funders, publishers, researchers, learned societies, repository managers?
Areas of discussion in this issue include:
Usage of PIDs within and across disciplines (e.g. earth sciences, life sciences, medicine, digital humanities, cultural heritage)
New use cases (e.g. provenance, dynamic data, fine-grained access, reference, credit, metrics, quality, standards)
Communities of practice and governance around PID systems
New forms of scholarly output, communication, linked data and business models
The papers will be published in a special issue on this topic for Data Science Journal. Guest editors: Fiona Murphy, Jens Klump, Mark Parsons, Tobias Weigel.
Important Dates
The timeline for the editorial process is:
Deadline for paper submissions: 31 October 2016
Editors’ decision: 16 January 2016
Deadline for revisions: 1 March 2016
Publication: Second Quarter 2017
Data Science Journal is an electronic open access journal and charges moderate article processing charges (APC) of 350 GBP for full papers [1]. DSJ runs an article-based workflow, so if some authors abide by the deadlines but others don't, the former will still be able to see their papers published online as soon as they're ready. The final issue would be published when all the papers are complete.
[1] http://datascience.codata.org/about/submissions/#publication-fees <http://datascience.codata.org/about/submissions/#publication-fees>
Contact
Please contact one of the Guest Editors for further information:
Fiona Murphy (fionalm27 at gmail.com)
Jens Klump (Jens.Klump at csiro.au)
Mark Parsons (parsom3 at rpi.edu)
Tobias Weigel (weigel at dkrz.de)

Less than FOUR weeks to go to INTERNATIONAL DATA WEEK http://www.internationaldataweek.org/ and SciDataCon 2016 http://www.scidatacon.org/site/programme/

Recently, we held #datatrieste, the CODATA-RDA Research Data Science Summer School: see the programme http://indico.ictp.it/event/7658/other-view?view=ictptimetable and photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/145909074@N04/albums
Dr Simon Hodson | Executive Director CODATA | http://www.codata.org

E-Mail: simon at codata.org | Twitter: @simonhodson99 | Skype: simonhodson99
Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96 | Tel (Cell): +33 6 86 30 42 59

CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Council for Science), 5 rue Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE