[CODATA-international] Join the World Data System Scientific Committee (WDS-SC): Two Vacant Positions Now Open – Deadline 5 April

Asha CODATA asha at codata.org
Mon Mar 18 09:20:39 EDT 2024

Message sent on behalf of Meredith Goins, Executive Director, WDS
International Program Office.

We’re pleased to announce that the World Data System seeks to fill two
vacant positions on our esteemed Scientific Committee. The WDS-SC is the
governing body of WDS, and it is made up of leading scientists who are
experienced in using extensive data resources or data center/service
executive leads. SC members are appointed for three years and may renew
once. As an organization, we’re committed to fostering effective
communication among all members and ensuring their diverse representation
in every aspect of our operations.

Visit the WDS website to learn more about the current WDS Scientific
Committee <https://worlddatasystem.org/about/scientific-committee/>.

In line with the WDS Action Plan
<https://worlddatasystem.org/about/action-plan/>, in filling these new
vacancies we aim to invite fresh perspectives and innovative ideas into our
committee. We believe in *the power of diversity and inclusiveness*,
particularly from regions and disciplines where voices have traditionally
been underrepresented.

With a special focus on *closing gaps in representation* from *the global
south and underrepresented data-intensive disciplines*, we’re eager to
broaden our horizons. If you’re from one of these areas or possess
expertise in such fields, we strongly encourage your participation.

By joining us, you’ll play a significant role in shaping the future of data
science and its global impact. You’ll work collaboratively with other
committee members from around the world towards common goals – improving
quality standards, promoting best practices, and ensuring equitable and
global access to data across all scientific domains. Apply today for an
opportunity to be part of this transformative journey as we strive for
greater diversity and inclusivity within WDS and beyond!

*Nominations, including self-nominations, will be open from 7 March to 5
April. WDS members will vote on the slate of candidates in May.*

*To submit a nomination, please visit **the survey link here*
<https://worlddatasystem.org/news-events/2024-wds-sc-nominations/>*.*
Nomination Form Requirements, submitted through Qualtrics:

   - Nominated Candidate Information, including:

   -
      - full name,
      - address,
      - nationality,
      - year of birth,
      - languages spoken,
      - phone number,
      - academic background (max. 10 lines),
      - positions held (max. 10 lines),
      - description of expertise (max. 10 lines),
      - suitability argument to serve on the WDS-SC (max. 5 lines),
      - professional homepage or website.

   - Nominator Information and Affiliation.

Selection Process

The World Data System (WDS) is deeply committed to ensuring the nominee
selection process is both transparent and rigorous. This process is carried
out by a dedicated Nomination Committee composed of three volunteer members
from our Scientific Committee (SC), namely Mamoru Ishii, Mark Nyssen, and
Dale Peters, and support from the WDS-IPO office. The primary
responsibility of the Nomination Committee is to oversee the recruitment
and succession planning for the Scientific Committee. This includes
monitoring executive recruitment and proactively seeking potential
candidates who could make significant contributions to our organization.
Following the Nomination Committee assessment of each candidate, qualified
nominees will be put forward for a vote among WDS members. This process
allows our entire community to participate in shaping our leadership. After
votes are accumulated, elected nominees are then submitted to the
International Science Council (ISC) board for final endorsement. This
comprehensive procedure ensures that all SC members are not only highly
capable but also have received approval from both the WDS membership at
large and the ISC board. This nomination and selection process underscores
our commitment to maintaining high standards within our governing body
while promoting diversity, inclusivity, and global representation within
WDS.

If you have any questions, please contact wds-ipo at utk.edu.

Thank you,

Meredith P. Goins, MSIS
Executive Director, WDS International Program Office
c/o WDS-IPO at UT-Oak Ridge Innovation Institute
+1-865-368-7980 *|* mgoins2 at utk.edu | www.worlddatasystem.org

--

Asha Law | Program Assistant, CODATA | http://www.codata.org

E-Mail: asha at codata.org
Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96

CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Science Council), 5 rue
Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE