[CODATA-international] Update on Open Letter requesting EDI scholarships at all UK universities

Falk Huettmann fhuettmann at alaska.edu
Wed Jan 11 12:56:29 EST 2023

 Dear Suchith,

thanks indeed for those details; I am in good support of your email content.

It matches the EID (Equity Diversity Inclusion)  work that is done globally
now,
and on most U.S. campuses etc.

But I would appreciate if you can see and use UK just as one example among
many
and then always apply it wider, more global,
if that is the aim (as per CODATA mandate let's say, and the sciences).

Arguably, it's not only the UK that can fail its people and the research,
e.g. see here for one case of many:
https://ucsdguardian.org/2021/05/09/musings-from-the-museum-the-indian-government-has-failed-its-people/

I actually can show you many examples and my own experiences from Germany,
and Canada,
certainly the U.S. and the EU, and of course cast systems, and now U.N. the
most (see work for instance by J. Ziegler
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Ziegler).
Simply looking at FIFA and IOC (=the sports) reflects us no other.

One should add here in that list royal governance schemes, as well as some
professional societies.

My point is that what you outline and put effort in is also to be tackled
wider and via the overall existing framework the most,
thus global data and free and open international information, books and
webportals for an improvement.
We use NOLO (No or Low Cost) classes for university teaching for insance;
U.S. has related federal laws on textbook cost exposure in syllabi.

Thanks again, more later
   Falk Huettmann

PS I probably take issue with your term 'from humble upbringing': what is
it and what is the threshold,
considering most people in the world earn <$4 a day and lower casts/no
casts do exist ?
The World Bank for instance has no agreeable terms for such income brackets
or for poverty, and revises them frequently.
A humble upbringing could indeed still be rather privileged and
self-serving.