[CODATA-international] Invitation to participate in the CODATA Data Ethics Working Group

Sun Kun Oh sunkun.oh at gmail.com
Mon May 16 09:14:14 EDT 2022

Dear all,

I am Dr. Sun Kun OH.

I have served since 2000 as a Korean delegate, including five years as
vice-chair, to the Global Science Forum (GSF) under Directorate for
Science, Technology and Innovation (DSTI) of OECD.

GSF has had a special occasion of co-working with CODATA and RDA, when they
together organised important workshops that were held on 3-4, November 2016
at the OECD headquarter in Paris, and once again on 28-29 March 2017 in
Brussels. Simon Hodson was one of the co-chairs of those workshops, of
which agenda included “Sustainable Business Models for Data Repositories,”
and “International Coordination of Data Infrastructure for Open Science.”

Besides, GSF has discussed the co-ordination and support of international
research data networks, among others, in some of which I have worked as a
member of the steering group or of the expert group. Thus, I think my
experience within GSF would be a kind of reference for your project, at
least in the sense that OECD has its own principle for open science than
UNESCO. With this background, I would like to join the working group.

And I am quite interested in the integrity of cyberspace. Although Open
Data is nowadays known worldwide, the research data or the articles
therefrom are not as much open to the public as we might guess. We still
need to log-in which requires permission, or to pay charges, annual
subscriptions or membership fees. The situation in less developed countries
are not better,

Best regards,

Dr. Sun Kun OH (Center for Underground Physics, IBS, and Emeritus Professor
of Physics, Konkuk University)