[CODATA-international] Indigenous Knowledge in the Data Science Journal

Mark Parsons [Joint DSJ Editor] editor at codata.org
Mon May 9 16:22:21 EDT 2022

The Data Science Journal <https://datascience.codata.org/> values the perspectives of all data professionals and practitioners and explicitly wants to recognize the insight that comes from Indigenous knowledge and how it is understood and managed. Indigenous knowledge has long been undervalued, misrepresented, and exploited in science, and the Indigenous contributors often remain invisible.

The DSJ is honored to have published The CARE Principles for Indigenous Data Governance <https://datascience.codata.org/articles/10.5334/dsj-2020-043/> and seeks to live up to those principles of Collective benefit, Authority to control, Responsibility, and Ethics. We are also inspired by the recent position statement <https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ajr.12834> from a consortium of rural health journals who will publish “nothing about Indigenous peoples, without Indigenous peoples”.

DSJ will adopt the same principle. How this will be precisely applied will vary depending on the people and knowledge in question, but in essence, we will reject submitted papers that concern Indigenous communities but do not provide evidence of the care taken towards engagement with Indigenous communities including appropriate attribution, appropriate access, and ideally Indigenous authorship. We encourage authors to include details of their perspective and background in the author description.

DSJ will continue to explore how we can foster inclusive principles of data science in our publications and practice, and we always welcome your feedback.

Yours in data,

Mark Parsons and Matt Mayernik
Joint Editors-in-Chief