[CODATA-international] Which solutions best support sharing and reuse of code?

Iain Hrynaszkiewicz ihrynaszkiewicz at plos.org
Thu Mar 17 08:49:34 EDT 2022

Dear all,

I thought this would be of interest to the CODATA International community, given the intersection of sharing data and code in supporting open research. PLOS has released a preprint<http://doi.org/10.31219/osf.io/tys8p> and supporting data<https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.19122611> on research conducted to understand the needs and habits of computational biology researchers in relation to code sharing and reuse, as well as to gather feedback on prototype code notebooks and help determine strategies that publishers could use to increase code sharing. There is a summary of the research on the PLOS Blog<https://theplosblog.plos.org/2022/03/which-solutions-best-support-sharing-and-reuse-of-code/>.

The results have not been peer-reviewed but will be submitted to a journal shortly. The findings of our survey have shown us that whilst researchers recognise the benefits that using code sharing technology bring, such as sharing data and code in the correct environment and allowing readers to easily change parameters, there may be insufficient incentives for researchers to carry out these tasks routinely when publishing in a journal. Most researchers in our survey (n=188) appear to be satisfied with the community norm of sharing code via a code repository such as github. While technological solutions - such as executable code capsules and code notebooks -- may help researchers in other ways, to support our goal of increasing sharing and reuse of code, PLOS Computational Biology's focus on a mandatory policy seems to be the optimal approach.

Kind regards,

Iain

Iain Hrynaszkiewicz
Director, Open Research Solutions
Mobile: +44 (0) 7714-767888
orcid.org/0000-0002-9673-5559

PLOS<http://www.plos.org/>
Empowering researchers to transform science
Carlyle House, Carlyle Road, Cambridge CB4 3DN, United Kingdom
Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/plos>

California (U.S.) corporation #C2354500, based in San Francisco