[CODATA-international] Job opportunity: Vanderbilt Metadata Librarian

Juarez, Francisco D francisco.d.juarez at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Mar 9 12:49:37 EST 2022

Please excuse possible duplication.

Vanderbilt University and the Vanderbilt Libraries are in an exciting time of transformation. With new leadership at the Chancellor, Provost and University Librarian levels, the Libraries are re-envisioning the future of library services at Vanderbilt. Through radical collaboration, we seek to deepen student and faculty engagement with the libraries, equip students for life-long information proficiency, increase faculty research impact, create more opportunities for interdisciplinary experimentation, and optimize access to collections and resources, including marginalized and hidden histories and cultures.

We seek a team member to help us educate the next generation of leaders and enable research that solves our most pressing problems. We are looking for an innovative and user-centered problem solver ready to join our collaborative environment and transform library services.
The Metadata Librarian is a member of Vanderbilt Libraries Cataloging and Metadata Services, which is responsible for advancing the library's user discovery services through the creation of metadata for library collections in all formats and partnerships with library colleagues, campus offices, and disciplinary faculty to provide access to the research, teaching, and learning resources of the libraries.

Duties and Responsibilities:

  *   Strategizes and innovates metadata services for different library collections in support of teaching, learning, and research on campus.
  *   Coordinates work with other library departments and partners on campus in areas of metadata consultation, evaluation, creation, remediation, and enhancement for library and campus projects.
  *   Creates metadata for the library's digitization projects and digital collections.
  *   Works with vendors for improvement of external metadata records.
  *   Develops and implements computer scripts and/or programs for ongoing or one-time data cleanup and enhancement processes.
  *   Explores and experiments with Linked Data developments in the library field, including BIBFRAME, Wikidata, and LD tools.
  *   Stays abreast of new technologies and library applications related to metadata and discovery services.

Qualifications
Required:

  *   Sound knowledge of metadata standards, including RDA, LC Classification, LCSH, MARC, MARCXML, DC, MODS, and/or other metadata schemas.
  *   Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of cataloging principles and best metadata practices related to resource description and discovery.
  *   Experience performing both original and copy cataloging or non-MARC metadata tasks.
  *   Experience with batch data processing such as normalization, remediation, transformation, and enhancement.
  *   Experience applying scripting and programing languages, such as Python, PHP, XSLT, XQuery, or JavaScript to library data projects.
  *   Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a highly collaborative academic environment.
  *   Familiarity or experience with data manipulation tools, such as MarcEdit, OpenRefine, and/or API applications.
  *   Experience using a client or cloud-based library management system.
  *   Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
  *   elf-motivated, service-oriented, and willing to take risks, learn, and grow.

Preferred:

  *   Proficiency in one or two languages other than English.
  *   Experience working in Alma.
  *   Knowledge of current Linked Data practices and technologies, including BIBFRAME and related LD tools.
  *   Supervisory experience.

Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
At Vanderbilt University, we are intentional about and assume accountability for fostering advancement and respect for equity, diversity, and inclusion for all students, faculty, and staff. Our commitment to diversity makes us who we are. We have created a community that celebrates differences and lets individuality thrive. As part of this commitment, we actively value diversity in our workplace and learning environments as we seek to take advantage of the rich backgrounds and abilities of everyone. The diverse voices of Vanderbilt represent an invaluable resource for the University in its efforts to fulfill its mission and strive to be an example of excellence in higher education.

Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.

Please note, all candidates selected for an offer of employment are subject to pre-employment background checks, which may include but are not limited to, based on the role for which they have been selected: criminal history, education verification, social media review, motor vehicle records, credit history, and professional license verification.

To apply for the position, please go to: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fecsr.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com%2FhcmUI%2FCandidateExperience%2Fen%2Fsites%2FCX%2Fjob%2F10001955&data=04%7C01%7Cfrancisco.d.juarez%40VANDERBILT.EDU%7C596f333d7a2d4ab63fe508d9fbfb3c32%7Cba5a7f39e3be4ab3b45067fa80faecad%7C0%7C0%7C637817878878227968%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&sdata=Xx1FjBWK71wLIpymQQcWWX%2FIzxnfvEkwt%2FS8JjLHrGc%3D&reserved=0

Best,
Francisco Juarez (he/him)
Vanderbilt University | STEM Research Librarian
Sarah Shannon Stevenson
Science & Engineering Library