[CODATA-international] GIS Education | "The Science"

Horst Kremers office at horst-kremers.de
Fri Jul 29 07:25:37 EDT 2022

Hello Suchith,

I went through both your messages and I re-confirm my suggestion of July 27
(see below) that your discussions at AutoCarto2022 may be helpful in your
questions.

As those who know me since longer time may know already, I always try to
have an independent view in issues (at least as far as possible).

The discussion you raise is not very clear from the beginning.

Before starting to "discuss, argue, judge" ethically or legally, it may be
helpful to clarify some terms:

1.       Looking around, what happened before:

a.       Trademark "The Science"
https://trademarks.justia.com/872/80/the-87280235.html
see trademark events:  ABANDONMENT - FAILURE TO RESPOND OR LATE RESPONSE

b.      Trademark "TRUST THE SCIENCE"
https://www.trademarkelite.com/trademark/trademark-detail/86401875/-TRUST-TH
E-SCIENCE-
see trademark events:  ABANDONMENT - FAILURE TO RESPOND OR LATE RESPONSE

I personally conclude:

Maybe I missed some basic references? I would prefer you to be more
specific, together with links.

"a humble opinion" is nice to have, but not always very suitable when you
enter the realms of justice.

>>>   please be precise and include links of what you specifically refer to.

2.       "the situation facing our discipline" -

You sign your email with

Senior Adviser to Governments and International Organizations | Scientist |
Board member | Governance | Policy | Consultant in Data Science and Data
Ethics | Global Citizen | SDG Volunteer and Advocate

So please help us to get a clear understanding of what is "our discipline"
mentioned in your email.
This may also be helpful for you to identify "Scientific Associations linked
with International Science Council" (ref to your email, see below) and
contact specific ones (many International Associations are not just "linked"
but are formal members of ISC)

3.       You sign your email with
https://council.science/profile/suchith-anand/

Are you representing ISC in your "The Science" topic?  Where does that
personal profile formally relate to work in ISC structure? Probably you are
member of some ISC commission, board, committee, etc.?

4.       " . Scientific Associations linked with International Science
Council have clear guidelines on sponsorship for conferences/events to
ensure  no vendors (X or Y , it doesn't matter ) are allowed to use
sponsorship as a route to promote their trademark of "the science " in the
conference website etc to give credibility to their brand/products/services"
"clear guidelines on sponsorship" >>>>>   there are national guidelines on
Scientific Integrity and Preventing Misconduct (mainly from national
Research Councils)  as well as international guidelines.
You may refer to existing work and suggest amendments where necessary.

5.       Your "Data Values article"  it is marked "Data Values Digest #29"
-  (and to me looks more like a blog entry than an article)
please provide more insight why you put that "article" into the discussion
of associations and companies mentioned in your email.
I read the main statement: "privately-owned digital service providers have
morphed into digital landowners"  but, really, I find it hard to match such
statement with your "The Science"-case of the AutoCarto2022 conference.

(needless to say that of course the situation of small farmers needs to be
improved much more)

Even as a first thought phase text I think it would have been better if you
try to refer to detailed sources.

So because of all this, finally I decided not to forward your current
email(s) concerning "The Science" to anyone.

Horst