[CODATA-international] Open Source Science for the Earth System Observatory

BOULTON Geoffrey Geoff.Boulton at ed.ac.uk
Mon Jan 10 08:56:24 EST 2022

Just a reminder that Open Science is not new. It started seriously in the late 17th century with the first published scientific journals of the modern era. They enabled ideas to circulate rapidly between distant readers, which catalysed a creative chain reaction that triggered an explosion of knowledge. The modern open science movement is a broadening of the horizons of openness rather than its discovery. In part it is about relations between scientists and in part with society.

We should also remember the old adage that "the best is the enemy of the good”. By excessively criticising our failure to achieve perfection, we undermine efforts to create the merely good.

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Boulton OBE FRS FRSE
Regius Professor of Geology Emeritus
University of Edinburgh