[CODATA-international] Call for Special Track Proposals: Data for Policy 2022 Conference, Hong Kong, Seattle, and Brussels, December

YARIME Masaru yarimemasa at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 05:53:27 EST 2022

Dear colleagues,

I would like to inform you that the Data for Policy 2022 Conference:
Ecosystems for Innovation and Virtual-Physical Interactions will be held in
December 2022 virtually as well as physically in three regions in the
world: Asia-Pacific, America, and Europe.
https://dataforpolicy.org/data-for-policy-2022/
<https://apc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdataforpolicy.org%2Fdata-for-policy-2022%2F&data=04%7C01%7Cyarime%40ust.hk%7C8deb6612a9014248f6cc08d9eed3e659%7Cc917f3e2932249269bb3daca730413ca%7C1%7C0%7C637803416162963093%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=dlCp%2FnuiOyyp5a9Mft%2BAdlXqgvQ2pGM%2F05l5bbOoKOI%3D&reserved=0>

The Asia-Pacific conference will be hosted at the Hong Kong University of
Science and Technology on December 5. The American conference will be
hosted by the University of Washington in Seattle on December 9, and the
European conference will be hosted by the Lisbon Council in Brussels on
December 13.

Standard tracks will include the following topics: Data-driven
Transformations in Policy and Governance; Data Technologies and Analytics
for Policy and Governance; Policy Frameworks, Governance and Management of
Data-driven Innovations; Ethics, Equity and Trust in Policy Data
Interactions; Algorithmic Governance; and Data to Tackle Global Issues and
Dynamic Societal Threats.

Special track proposals are welcome to deal with various kinds of topics
from interdisciplinary perspectives. For example, I would be keen to see
proposals exploring data-driven innovation in addressing sustainability
challenges, including climate change, the circular economy, and sustainable
energy transitions, and implications for public policy, management, and
governance.

The deadline for special track proposals is March 10, 2022. Successful
proposals will be featured in the main call for papers for the conference.

I would really appreciate your kind consideration. Please let me know if
you have any questions about the conference.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
YARIME Masaru

*************************************************************************************************************
YARIME Masaru, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Division of Public Policy (PPOL)
Director, MPhil and PhD Programs in Public Policy
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST)
Address: Room 4611 (Lift 31/32), PPOL, HKUST, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon,
Hong Kong SAR
Phone: +852-3469-2283; E-mail: yarime at ust.hk
Web: https://ppol.ust.hk/ppl/faculty/prof_masaru_yarime; Personal Web:
http://yarime.net/
<https://apc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fyarime.net%2F&data=04%7C01%7Cyarime%40ust.hk%7C8deb6612a9014248f6cc08d9eed3e659%7Cc917f3e2932249269bb3daca730413ca%7C1%7C0%7C637803416162963093%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=qq88bv1uVDShsXma0ts1w%2BGfYk3ecKDqeyNeoGtC6mg%3D&reserved=0>
Visiting Associate Professor, Graduate School of Public Policy, The
University of Tokyo
**************************************************************************************************************

[image: Data for Policy 2020 Call for Special Tracks.png]

Your latest bookmark from Email This
Data for Policy 2022 – Data for Policy
<https://apc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fclick.pstmrk.it%2F2sm%2Fdataforpolicy.org%252Fdata-for-policy-2022%252F%2F5B8K3SkN%2FZSwp%2Fmk8ZTtzHZ1%2FMzA4NjgyNg&data=04%7C01%7Cyarime%40ust.hk%7C8deb6612a9014248f6cc08d9eed3e659%7Cc917f3e2932249269bb3daca730413ca%7C1%7C0%7C637803416162963093%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=OfJyUqAnyUEUE1jo5%2BqdkwJkVIt59k8mccHApDgP%2F%2Bc%3D&reserved=0>

The seventh edition of the conference will embrace a hybrid
physical-virtual format, with one-day, in-person conferences held in three
regions: Asia (Hong Kong), America (Seattle) and Europe (Brussels). We are
delighted to work with our esteemed colleagues Masaru Yarime, Leigh
Anderson and Francesco Mureddu (Regional Chairs) to deliver our ambitious
plan. We hope that our model will allow maximal, inclusive participation
from all geographic regions, while limiting environmentally unsustainable,
long-distance travel. This is an experimental model that we are keen to
try, to enable efficient global knowledge sharing in the post-Covid world.
Nevertheless, the health and wellbeing of our community is of great
importance, and we will continue to assess the global situation, and adapt
our plans if this is necessary.

In addition to its six established Standard Tracks, and reflecting its
three-regions model this year, the Data for Policy 2022 conference
highlights “Ecosystems of innovation and virtual-physical interactions” as
its theme. Distinct geopolitical and virtual-physical ecosystems are
emerging as everyday operations and important socio-economic decisions are
increasingly outsourced to digital systems. For example, the US’s open
market approach empowering multinational digital corporations contrasts
with greater central government control in the Chinese digital ecosystem,
and radically differs from Europe’s priority on individual rights, personal
privacy and digital sovereignty. Other localised ecosystems are emerging
around national priorities: India focuses on the domestic economy, and
Russia prioritises public and national security. The Global South remains
underrepresented in the global debate. The developmental trajectory for the
different ecosystems will shape future governance models, democratic
values, and the provision of citizen services. In an envisioned ‘metaverse’
future, boundaries between physical and virtual spaces will become even
more blurred, further underlining the need to scrutinise and challenge the
various systems of governance.

The Data for Policy conference series is the premier global forum for
multiple disciplinary and cross-sector discussions around the theories,
applications and implications of data science innovation in governance and
the public sector. Its associated journal, Data & Policy, published by
Cambridge University Press has quickly established itself as a major venue
for publishing research in the field of data-policy interactions. Data for
Policy is a non-profit initiative, registered as a community interest
company in the UK, supported by sustainer partners Cambridge University
Press, the Alan Turing Institute and the Office for National Statistics.