[CODATA-international] Open Letter requesting Equality Scholarships at all Russell Group Universities

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Dec 19 08:07:23 EST 2022

Dear colleagues

There is a need to expand the university education opportunities available to Black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) students, not only in geospatial science, but in science generally. There is so much talent out there that just isn’t getting an opportunity [1] [2] . So now, I am hoping to bring together university leaders and to advocate for each Russell Group university (the most prestigious and richest universities in the UK) to provide 100 full scholarships per year for BAME students, students from economically poor families and first-generation students . The question is not “why do this?”, the question is “why not do this?”. This would create a huge ripple effect for representation in science.

The main reason that I decided to share my racism experiences is to make sure that other colleagues and students don’t face racism in the future.[3], [4] [5]. I have forgiven all of them for their racial discrimination and other injustices that I had faced.

I think it is everyone’s responsibility to ensure equal access and to fight against racism in science. We must all try to make sure that there is no racial discrimination in our department or in our team, and to speak out against racism, and to support colleagues who report these problems.

The pain that I had gone through because of the racial injustices cannot be quantified, but if that could pave way for reducing racism for other colleagues in the future and help in GeoForAll mission for providing more higher education opportunities for the first generation students, BAME students and for students from economically poor families then, I can say that the injustices I had faced was worth it.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/please-share-ideas-providing-higher-education-more-first-anand/

I request the University vice-chancellors and senior management in all Russell Group Universities to please consider my humble request for providing 100 full scholarships per year at each Russell Group university for BAME students, students from economically poor families and first-generation students.

Please feel free to share my email with your colleagues.

Please take pledge for eliminating racism from all UK Universities.  Let us all work for making science and education more accessible, inclusive and equitable for the benefit of all.

As Mahatma Gandhi said “Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

Best wishes

Suchith

Dr Suchith Anand

Senior Adviser to Governments and International Organisations | Scientist | Board member | Governance | Policy | Consultant in Data Science and Data Ethics | Global Citizen | SDG Volunteer and Advocate

https://council.science/profile/suchith-anand/

https://www.rd-alliance.org/users/suchith-anand

https://ethicaldatainitiative.org

[1] https://www.nature.com/immersive/d41586-022-04386-w/index.html