[CODATA-international] Please Say NO to Racism in Science

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Dec 19 06:15:30 EST 2022

Dear colleagues

It is very disappointing to read about the scale of racial discrimination from the Nature article “How UK science is failing Black researchers” (published 14 Dec 2022)

https://www.nature.com/immersive/d41586-022-04386-w/index.html

Data shows structural racism is widespread in some UK Universities. More interventions and positive actions are needed to reverse this.

This is a wider problem affecting Black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) staff in some UK universities. For example, this article in Guardian (dated 12 Dec 2022) gives example from a BAME academic at University of Portsmouth

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/dec/12/portsmouth-university-loses-discrimination-case-against-indian-lecturer-kajal-sharma

It saddens me to see the scale of racism in some UK universities.

There is no place for Racism in any UK Universities. I am hoping with more UK Universities  joining the Race Equality Charter https://www.advance-he.ac.uk/equality-charters/race-equality-charter  and implementing  actions things will change. These conversations are important to bring us all together to create a better world for everyone.

There is a need to expand the university education opportunities available to students from BAME backgrounds, not only in geospatial science, but in science generally. There is so much talent out there that just isn’t getting an opportunity. So now, I am hoping to bring together university leaders and to advocate for each Russell Group university (the most prestigious and richest universities in the UK) to provide 100 full scholarships per year for BAME students, students from economically poor families and first-generation students . The question is not “why do this?”, the question is “why not do this?”. This would create a huge ripple effect for representation in science.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/please-share-ideas-providing-higher-education-more-first-anand/

I think it is everyone’s responsibility to ensure equal access and to fight against racism in science. We must all try to make sure that there is no racial discrimination in our department or in our team, and to speak out against racism, and to support colleagues who report these problems.

Please take pledge for eliminating racism from UK universities.  Let us all work for making science and education more accessible, inclusive and equitable for the benefit of all.

Best wishes

Suchith