[CODATA-international] New report on value and utility of FAIR Implementation Profiles (FIPs) available from the WorldFAIR project

Asha CODATA asha at codata.org
Fri Dec 2 07:49:11 EST 2022

In the WorldFAIR project, CODATA (the Committee on Data of the
International Science Council), with the RDA (Research Data Alliance)
Association as a major partner, is working with a set of eleven
disciplinary and cross-disciplinary case studies
<https://worldfair-project.eu/case-studies-of-worldfair/> to advance
implementation of the FAIR principles
<https://www.nature.com/articles/sdata201618> and, in particular, to
improve interoperability and reusability of digital research objects,
including data.

To that end, the WorldFAIR project created a range of FAIR Implementation
Profiles (FIPs)
<https://worldfair-project.eu/2022/09/30/fips-in-worldfair-what-have-we-learnt-public-workshop-tue-25-october/>
between
July and October 2022 to better understand current FAIR data-related
practices.  The report, ‘*FAIR Implementation Profiles (FIPs) in WorldFAIR:
What Have We Learnt?*’, is published this week and available at
https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7378109.

The report describes the WorldFAIR project, its objectives and its rich set
of Case Studies; and it introduces FIPs as a methodology for listing the
FAIR implementation decisions made by a given community of practice.
Subsequently, the report gives an overview of the initial feedback and
findings from the Case Studies, and considers a number of issues and points
of discussion that emerged from this exercise. Finally, and most
importantly, we describe how we think the experience of using FIPs will
assist each Case Study in its work to implement FAIR, and will assist the
project as a whole in the development of two key outputs: the Cross-Domain
Interoperability Framework (CDIF), and domain-sensitive recommendations for
FAIR assessment.

We hope this report will be of interest to data experts who want to find
out more about the WorldFAIR project, its remarkable and diverse array of
Case Studies, and about FIPs.  It is important to stress that this report
does not set out to give a comprehensive appraisal of the FIPs approach and
could not do so.  All the WorldFAIR Case Studies have developed an initial
FIP, but the process of reflection on practice will continue throughout the
project.  Each Case Study will complete at least one further FIP, and in
some cases more than one, towards the end of the project and this will
enrich our understanding of the utility of the approach.  At that stage, we
intend to be able to incorporate some robust prospective and aspirational
considerations, and we need to consider how best to represent this in the
FIPs.

The final section of this report looks forward to the development of the
Cross-Domain Interoperability Framework (CDIF), and domain-sensitive
recommendations for FAIR assessment.  On both these counts, we consider
that the FIPs approach has helped considerably:

   - For the CDIF, through helping refine our initial functional analysis
   of the requirements for cross-domain FAIR, and—as predicted—helping
   identify *some* candidate cross-domain standards.
   - For the FAIR assessment recommendations, through demonstrating that
   the FIPs can provide an empirical basis for such recommendations,
   reflecting both the current practice, and the aspirations of a given
   community or research domain.

We welcome feedback from readers and plan to hold a discussion event on
report findings and reactions in February 2023.

Visit WorldFAIR online at http://worldfair-project.eu to keep up with our
work.

‘FAIR Implementation Profiles (FIPs) in WorldFAIR: What Have We Learnt?’ is
Project Deliverable D2.1 for the EC WIDERA-funded project “WorldFAIR:
Global cooperation on FAIR data policy and practice”.  WorldFAIR is funded
by the EC HORIZON-WIDERA-2021-ERA-01-41 Coordination and Support Action
under Grant Agreement No. 101058393.

Thanks,

Asha
--
___________________________

*Call for Sessions, Presentations and Posters: SciDataCon 2023, part of IDW
2023: *deadline 31 March 2023
<https://codata.org/call-for-sessions-presentations-and-posters-scidatacon-2023-part-of-idw-2023/>

*Making Data Work for Research: *CODATA Executive Director speaks about
WorldFAIR, FAIR vocabularies, DRUM and more on Australian radio
<https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/sundayextra/making-data-work-for-research/101671230>

*Data Science Journal Call
for Papers, Data Management Planning across Disciplines and Infrastructures:*
 DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 15 DECEMBER
<https://codata.org/call-for-papers-data-management-planning-across-disciplines-and-infrastructures/>

Sept-Oct 2022 publications
<https://codata.org/september-and-october-2022-publications-in-the-data-science-journal/>
in
the CODATA Data Science Journal <https://datascience.codata.org/>

*Stay in touch with CODATA:*

Stay up to date with CODATA activities: join the CODATA International News
list
<http://lists.codata.org/mailman/listinfo/codata-international_lists.codata.org>

Looking for training and career opportunities in data science and data
stewardship?  Sign up to the CODATA early career community-run data
science training and careers list
<http://lists.codata.org/mailman/listinfo/data_science_training_lists.codata.org>

Follow us on social media! Twitter <https://twitter.com/CODATANews> -
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/codata.org/> - LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/simon-hodson-b3711a11/> - Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/codatainternational/>

Asha Law | Program Assistant, CODATA | http://www.codata.org

E-Mail: asha at codata.org
Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96

CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Council for Science), 5 rue
Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE