[CODATA-international] GeoForAll panel at The International Association for the Study of the Commons IASC 2023

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Sun Aug 28 18:34:03 EDT 2022

Dear colleagues,

The International Association for the Study of the Commons (IASC) https://iasc-commons.org 2023 Conference Call for Panels might be of interest.

It will be great to have GeoForAll panel (or individual papers)  around open education, open data or FOSS4G software at IASC 2023. Please email Charlie Schweik ( cschweik at umass.edu<mailto:cschweik at umass.edu>) if you are interested to contribute to this session.

Teaching the Commons Video and Podcast Contest for World Commons Week 2022  might be of interest .  Details at https://wcw2022.iasc-commons.org/teaching-video-contest/

This will also help GIS educators to think on the current GIS curriculum and  Ethics of Digital Feudalism in GIS Education.

  *   What policies and curriculum are universities, educators adopting to reduce Digital Feudalism in GIS education?

  *
  *   Do your courses cover topics on data rights, digital citizenship ?

  *

  *   Are there any university policies and code of conduct to follow if any academics/researchers are funded by any vendor (for example, through GIS vendor funded faculty posts , research funding by any GIS vendors)?

  *

  *   Can academics and researchers publish articles on GIS education promoting the vendor products (either directly or indirectly)?

https://rd-alliance.org/group/geospatial-ig/post/ethics-digital-feudalism-gis-education

More details at https://datavaluesdigest.substack.com/p/how-digital-feudalism-hurts-farmers

Best wishes

Suchith