[CODATA-international] Please share ideas for providing higher education opportunities for more first generation students

Cerdeira Hilda cerdeira at ictp.it
Fri Aug 26 13:29:08 EDT 2022

Dear Colleagues

I want to call attention to a special programme in Brazil to attract young
talents to mathematics, from the public schools. In Brazil public schools
are non-paid schools and thus used by the poorer part of the population.
The program consists in preparing children from very poor families
starting at the age of eight or eleven, so that they compete for
fellowships, which will allow them to continue in school until the time to
enter the university.

It is run by IMPA, the Institute of Pure and Applied Mathematics, one of
the best institutes dedicated to Dynamical Systems in the whole World.

You can find the information about the programme here:
http://www.obmep.org.br/
Or you can get more information from Professor Marcelo Viana, Director of
IMPA. His e-mail address is: viana at impa.br
You can quote me if you write to him.

If you need more information you can also write back to me.

Sincere regards
  Hilda Cerdeira