[CODATA-international] Please share ideas for providing geospatial education opportunities for more first generation students

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Aug 24 03:25:01 EDT 2022

Dear colleagues

GeoForAll’s aim is to keep the doors of education opportunities open for all. Access to quality education and opportunities is key for getting rid of extreme poverty and enable broadly shared prosperity for all.

More details at https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/geospatial-ig/post/please-share-open-principles-science-and-education-ideas-and-philosophy

GeoForAll supports initiatives and colleagues working to provide more opportunities for first generation students from around the world. I would like to request colleagues to share ideas for providing geospatial education opportunities for more first-generation students from around the world.

I would like to introduce you all to Raju Kendre,  Founder at Eklavya - an initiative promoting higher education and enabling grassroots leadership of first-generation learners in India.

A first-generation learner from a nomadic tribal farming community, Raju is a graduate from Tata Institute of Social Sciences . Recently, he also won the Chevening Scholarship that provides a fully-funded education in the UK, apart from unique leadership opportunities.  As a professional social worker, Raju has been engaged with tribal and rural community development for the last nine years.

https://www.cede.co.in/inspiration/raju-kendre

Ekalvya is a Movement building education and career of underprivileged youth. Details at https://eklavyaindia.org

Dear colleagues, As GeoForAll community is spread in universities around the world, I would like to request colleagues to please share information  on any scholarships, free training programs etc in the universities by sharing the information in GeoForAll maillist at https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/geoforall .

Raju will then share relevant opportunities with his team. Thank you in advance for your help.

I am requesting all colleagues to help make education opportunities inclusive to students from all economic backgrounds.

Education + Empowerment = GeoForAll

Please share our resources with all https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/please-share-geoforall-teaching-research-resources-colleagues-students/

I thank all colleagues for their selfless efforts over many years which has helped us to make this possible.

I look forward to working and building collaborations with all interested in this education mission. Let us all work together to help create a world that is more accessible, equitable and full of innovation and opportunities for everyone.

Best wishes

Suchith

Dr Suchith Anand

Senior Adviser to Governments and International Organisations | Scientist | Board member | Governance | Policy | Consultant in Data Science and Data Ethics | Global Citizen | SDG Volunteer and Advocate

https://council.science/profile/suchith-anand/

https://www.rd-alliance.org/users/suchith-anand

https://ethicaldatainitiative.org

Email - Suchith.Anand at ethicaldatainitiative.org<mailto:Suchith.Anand at ethicaldatainitiative.org>