[CODATA-international] Results of PLOS survey of funders' and institutions' open research needs

Iain Hrynaszkiewicz ihrynaszkiewicz at plos.org
Wed Sep 29 06:20:46 EDT 2021

Dear all,

I thought this would be of particular interest to the CODATA community. I'm sharing the results of a survey of a funders and institutions' needs in relation to evaluating researchers' open research practices (specifically, sharing data and code). The survey was conducted by PLOS in July-August 2020, and results have been released as a preprint, along with the supporting data and a summary on the PLOS blog.

Preprint: https://doi.org/10.31219/osf.io/z4py9
Data and survey instrument: https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.14994498
Summary on the PLOS blog: https://theplosblog.plos.org/2021/09/how-can-publishers-better-meet-the-open-research-needs-of-funders-and-institutions/

The results have not been peer-reviewed. Thanks to members of this community who shared the survey amongst their networks or completed it last year. We received 122 completed responses. Half of respondents had tried to evaluate if researchers are sharing data or code in the past and most plan to do this in the future. The paper concludes that publishers investing in simple solutions in their workflows and policies can help to better meet the needs of funders and institutions who wish to support open research practices. It also highlights an opportunity for better solutions to support open research policy monitoring and compliance.

Kind regards,

Iain

Iain Hrynaszkiewicz
Director, Open Research Solutions
Main: +44 (0) 1223-442810 I Mobile: +44 (0) 7714-767888
orcid.org/0000-0002-9673-5559

PLOS<http://www.plos.org/>
Empowering researchers to transform science
Carlyle House, Carlyle Road, Cambridge CB4 3DN, United Kingdom
Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/plos>

California (U.S.) corporation #C2354500, based in San Francisco