[CODATA-international] ISC-UNDRR Hazard Information Profiles Launched

Asha CODATA asha at codata.org
Tue Oct 5 06:53:21 EDT 2021

The UNDRR/ISC Hazard Information Profiles
<https://council.science/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Hazard-Information-Profiles-Supplement-to-UNDRR-ISC-Hazard-Definition-Classification-Review-Technical-Report-2021.pdf>
are
a supplement to the UNDRR/ISC Hazard Definition & Classification Review:
Technical Report (2020) <https://council.science/publications/hazards/>.
The supplement comprises a description of each of the 302 hazard
information profiles (HIPs), developed using a consultative process by
scientists and experts across the globe.

The Technical Working Group was chaired by Virginia Murray, Head of Global
Disaster Risk Reduction, UK Health Security Agency and a member of the
CODATA Executive Committee.

As discussed in the UN World Data Forum Session
<https://whova.com/portal/webapp/unwdf_202110/Agenda/1863933> on
‘Multi-Stakeholder
Data Bridges II – Making data work for cross-domain grand challenges’
<https://codata.org/un-world-data-forum-session-multi-stakeholder-data-bridges-ii-making-data-work-for-cross-domain-grand-challenges/>,
held
on 4 October, CODATA will now be working to make the HIPs into a FAIR
Vocabulary, following the guidelines laid down in the article Ten simple
rules for making a vocabulary FAIR.

Launch of the UNDRR/ISC Hazard Information Profiles: Supplement to
UNDRR/ISC Hazard Definition & Classification Review: Technical Report (2020)
<https://www.undrr.org/news/launch-undrr/isc-hazard-information-profiles-supplement-undrr/isc-hazard-definition>
 4th October 2021

With disasters increasing in intensity, severity and impacts across the
globe, improving risk information across all types of hazards is critical
to enhance our capacity to anticipate, prevent and respond to disaster
risks from the local to the global scales. One barrier to sharing and using
risk information effectively has been the lack of standardized definitions
of hazards and a lack of guidance on the full range of hazards from
hydrometeorological, extraterrestrial, geological, environmental, chemical,
biological, technological and  societal that need to be addressed in risk
management.

The UNDRR/ISC Hazard Information Profiles Supplement to UNDRR-ISC Hazard
Definition & Classification Review: Technical Report (2020) is the first
ever compilation of definitions of over 300 hazards that are relevant to
the 2015 United Nations landmark agreements of the Sendai Framework for
Disaster Risk Reduction, the Paris Agreement on climate change and the
Sustainable Development Goals.

The last two years have shone a light on the need for a more holistic
approach to understanding risk with countries facing multiple and
compounding disasters such as heatwaves, cold waves, wildfires, floods,
locust invasion, pandemic and others. Many of these hazards are defined in
multiple ways which can hinder the sharing and integration of information.
Improving hazard definitions needs to be built on scientific evidence and
collaboration across institutions and sectors.

With 100 authors and 130 reviewers involved in the development of the
hazard information profiles, this work has stimulated a process of
multi-disciplinary and multi-sectoral collaboration on using science-based
information to better define hazards and the data requirements to measure
them effectively.

This compilation of existing information provides a starting point for
bringing together information on hazards that will need to be regularly
reviewed and updated by the relevant international institutions in
partnership with the scientific community in order to build an information
ecosystem better suited to the risks of today and tomorrow.

“In a world with increasingly interconnected world where over 300 hazards
threaten our development gains, political and financial stability and the
lives and wellbeing of millions of people, it is critical to accelerate our
common knowledge and understanding of how to prepare, reduce and prevent
multi-hazard risk. Developed through extensive collaboration across
sectors, fields and agendas, we hope that this report will be a useful
complement to our joint efforts towards standardized approaches to
resilient, sustainable development. . ”
Mami Mizutori

*Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk
ReductionUnited Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDR*R)

“With this supplement, we want to celebrate a collective achievement and
encourage a stronger engagement process between the science and policy
communities at all scales, to bring our knowledge on risks and its multiple
dimensions to bear in monitoring, assessment, planning and decision-making.
Robust information and processes to share data and expertise are essential
capabilities to help achieve risk-informed development.”
Dr Heide Hackmann
*CEO, International Science Council*

“As chair of the Technical Working Group for the UNDRR/ISC Hazard
Definition and Classification Report I want to thank all members of the
group, all the authors and reviewers of the UNDRR/ISC Hazard Information
Profiles for their commitment and engagement to deliver this work. To
develop standardised understanding of hazards is such an important step
forward that will facilitate, we believe, engagement with a range of users
working in disaster risk reduction, emergency management, climate change,
and sustainable development. The Hazard Information Profiles will ensure
synchronization among global and national mechanisms and processes. We hope
these will be useful, usable and used by many and we look forward to
hearing how they will support people.
Professor Virginia Murray
*Head of Global Disaster Risk Reduction, UK Health Security Agency; CODATA
Executive Committee; and Chair of the Technical Working Group*

*Related information*
Hazard Information Profiles: Supplement to UNDRR-ISC Hazard Definition &
Classification Review – Technical Report
<https://www.undrr.org/publication/hazard-information-profiles-supplement-undrr-isc-hazard-definition-classification>
Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030
<https://www.undrr.org/publication/sendai-framework-disaster-risk-reduction-2015-2030-0>
Chart of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030
<https://www.undrr.org/publication/chart-sendai-framework-disaster-risk-reduction-2015-2030>

Thanks,
Asha

--

*REGISTRATION OPEN!
<https://codata.org/events/conferences/scidatacon-2021/>** Virtual

*Data-Knowledge-Action for Urban Systems:* New Podcast Series
from CAG-CEPT, CODATA and UHWB
<https://codata.org/initiatives/data-skills/codata-connect/cag-cept-codata-and-uhwb-podcast-series-on-data-knowledge-action-for-urban-systems/>

*DEADLINE EXTENDED! Call for Proposals to Host International Data Week
2025: *deadline 31 January 2022
<https://internationaldataweek.org/call-for-applications/>

August 2021 publications
<https://codata.org/august-2021-publications-in-the-data-science-journal/> in
the CODATA Data Science Journal <https://datascience.codata.org/>

*Stay in touch with CODATA:*

Stay up to date with CODATA activities: join the CODATA International News
list
<http://lists.codata.org/mailman/listinfo/codata-international_lists.codata.org>

Looking for training and career opportunities in data science and data
stewardship?  Sign up to the CODATA early career community-run data
science training and careers list
<http://lists.codata.org/mailman/listinfo/data_science_training_lists.codata.org>

Follow us on social media! Twitter <https://twitter.com/CODATANews> -
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/codata.org/> - LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/simon-hodson-b3711a11/> - Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/codatainternational/>

Asha Law | Program Assistant, CODATA | http://www.codata.org

E-Mail: asha at codata.org
Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96

CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Council for Science), 5 rue
Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE