[CODATA-international] Fw: [GODAN WG: Food Poverty] The Importance of the Right to Food

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Sat Jun 5 01:56:00 EDT 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Kathryn Bailey <kathryn.bailey at godan.info<mailto:kathryn.bailey at godan.info>>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 at 14:30
Subject: [GODAN WG: Food Poverty] The Importance of the Right to Food
To: Working Group on Food Poverty <food.poverty-discuss at godan.info<mailto:food.poverty-discuss at godan.info>>

Dear all,

We are delighted to be able to invite you to a panel discussion on the significance of the Right to Food next week; the next in the series of Food Poverty Webinars.

THE IMPORTANCE OF THE RIGHT TO FOOD
THURSDAY 10 JUNE, 12H00 BST (13H00 CEST)
**CLICK HERE TO REGISTER**<https://www.godan.info/events/importance-right-food>
[Right to Food.png]Click here to register and find out more about the panellists.<https://www.godan.info/events/importance-right-food>

According to the latest food insecurity data collected prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, nearly one in eight people in the UK are food insecure, with some people disproportionately impacted; including BAME households, single parent households, and people on low incomes or social security. Meanwhile, additional challenges (soil degradation, farmers inability to compete, and unhealthy foods causing new patterns of non-communicable nutrition-related diseases) are undermining the long-term reliability of the nation’s food supply.

The UN has set out a series of economic, social and cultural rights, including: The rights to adequate food, adequate housing, education, health, social security, water and sanitation, work, and the right to take part in cultural life. These are all rights that successive UK Governments have ratified on the international stage but are yet to incorporate into domestic law. A legal right places responsibilities on public institutions to help us when we are having difficulties meeting our basic needs, and enables individuals to take action to fix any barriers to our enjoyment of that right. It also allows us to change the narrative from whether food should be a right; to how we ensure the right to food is upheld.

Leading UK food and farming alliance Sustain, Scottish food policy charity Nourish Scotland and Edinburgh University have been campaigning for the Right to Food in Scotland and the wider UK with considerable success. We are delighted to be able to bring together representatives from these three institutions for a panel discussion to explore the importance of the Right to Food agenda, share the successes they have had in bringing the issue to the attention of Policy Makers, and highlight the work that still remains to be done in the area.

We hope you can join us for this event,

Kate

--
Kathryn Bailey