[CODATA-international] [Reminder Two Weeks Left to Apply] CfA: ASAPbio preprint communication competition

ALLAN OCHOLA allanochola4 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 00:50:00 EDT 2021

Are you keen to show your passion for science and preprints to the
non-scientific community? Got an aptitude for writing or showcasing visual
art? If this sounds like you, we’re looking for you! Our preprint science
communication competition seeks to find new ways to engage and reach out to
the general public.

The competition aims to help improve communication and understanding about
preprints among broad audiences, including those beyond the scientific
community. Raising awareness of preprints is crucial to helping the public
understand the latest scientific discoveries affecting their lives. Science
communication can play a positive role in supporting the public’s
understanding of preprints and their place in the scientific process.

*The competition – What do we look for?*

We welcome submissions from anyone with an interest in science and
preprints, including students, researchers, librarians, editors, or science
communicators and members of the public. There are no restrictions related
to role, career stage, or country/location.

 Submissions must cover scientific work reported in a preprint, or the
concept of preprints and their role in science communication. We encourage
participatory and interactive formats of all kinds. There are three
categories for submissions:

   - Poetry
   - Visual art, including animation
   - Videos

Here are some suggested topics you could explore in your submission, please
do not feel limited by these ideas though!

   -  What is a preprint?
   - What is the difference between a preprint and a journal article?
   - What are the purposes of preprints? Why do researchers use preprints?
   - Preprints and peer review

You can also find inspiration from ongoing initiatives such as Science
Sketches <https://www.sciencesketches.org/>.

*What’s in it for you?*

The winner in each category will receive a $300 USD award. The three
finalists in each category will also be featured in an ASAPbio blog post
and on social media.

 The winning entries will be selected by our judges:

   -  Joana Carvalho, Communications Officer and Science Illustrator,
   Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciencia, Portugal
   - Liam Holt, Associate Professor, NYU Grossman School of Medicine, US
   and co-Founder of Science Sketches
   - Dasapta Erwin Irawan, Lecturer in hydrogeology, Bandung Institute of
   Technology, Indonesia and co-founder of RINarxiv

*How to enter the competition*

Submit your entry via this form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeScyzHVC7W2wlLrdSaKwJdJVn_iYtPN9wKRRm3ClhSReiXtg/viewform>.
Submissions to the visual art and video categories may be in any language,
submissions to the poetry category must be in English. Participants can
only submit one entry per category.

 Submissions to the competition should be in the following formats:

   -  Poetry – Poems 500 words maximum
   - Visual art, including animation – Images not more than 20MP
   - Videos – A visual or audio clip, not more than 2 min

By submitting, participants agree that ASAPbio may publish the work under a
Creative Commons CC BY license allowing reuse.

The deadline for submission is *10 September 2021*.

 More Information can be found here <https://asapbio.org/competition>.

Best Wishes,

Allan

On behalf of ASAPbio team

Tomas Aparicio, Columbia University Medical Center

Ksenia Kuznetsova, Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and
Genetics

Allan Ochola, Kenyatta University/ PASET-RSIF

Indre Piragyte-Langa, University of Bern

Claudia Vásquez, Stanford University