[CODATA-international] Brown (2020) Big Secret in the Academy (article) on Open Access and lack thereof

Falk Huettmann fhuettmann at alaska.edu
Thu May 28 13:24:44 EDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,
thanks,
as a comment and real-world check:

"Beijing Declaration on Open Access",
just see COVID and its labs and data, specifically the Asian ones.
Perhaps we rather need a Wuhan Declaration from that  to make the problem
clear for everybody and more
defendable ?

Re. indigenous issues, I can see the topic and understand it first hand,
but in reality, it comes home to cases like:
a researcher is not allowed to look at birds, or polar bears (needs
permits) in such areas,
but (commercial) tourists are allowed (citizen science).
This looks pretty absurd to me, and not as intended.
(in eBIRD data as an example, simply check for survey effort with cruise
ship locations)

I see issues like Gyrfalcons (endangered, protected etc), data not being
shared there for 'protection', and everybody (urbanized) easily agrees (aka
makes sense),
while in reality, in science and on the ground (locally, govs, falconers,
poachers etc),  happily can share and make such data fully open, e.g.
georeferenced.
See IUCN for an example, or high impact journals.
Similar can be said with health data.

There are typical examples where data admins do not know what they do, and
how they do it,
and for whom, and why. Thus far, I see a large financial-political profile
in that, with a massive trend though,
but hardly more.
Impacts are clear from that.

Please keep me posted for progress, thanks and very best

  Falk Huettmann PhD, Professor
         Uni of Alaska Fairbanks

PS Like below, and beyond, there are of course some good examples for Asian
data delivered online Open Access (see below) though but those are
self-archived,
not supported or acknowledged, certainly not awarded by UN and such minds:

Zhang L., F. Huettmann, C. Liu, P. Sun, Z. Yu, X, Zhang and C. Mi (2019)
The use of

classification and regression algorithms using the random forests method
with presence-only data to model species’s distribution MethodsX 6:
2281-2292

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2215016119302596

Zhang L., F. Huettmann, C. Liu, P. Sun, Z. Yu, X, Zhang and C. Mi (2019)

            Classification and regression with random forests as a standard
method for presence-

            only data SDMs: A future conservation example using China tree
species. Ecological

            Informatics https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoinf.2019.05.003

Xuesong H, Yu. Guo, C. Mi, F.Huettmann and L. Wen (2017) Machine Learning

                        Model Analysis of Breeding Habitats for the
Blacknecked Crane in Central Asian

                        Uplands under Anthropogenic Pressures. Scientific
Reports 7, Article number: 6114

doi:10.1038/s41598-017-06167-2. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-

06167-2

Kandel K, F. Huettmann, M. K. Suwal, G.R. Regmi,V. Nijman, K.A.I.
Nekaris,S.T.

            Lama,A. Thapa,H.P. Sharma and T.R. Subedi (2015) Rapid
multi-nation distribution

            assessment of a charismatic conservation species using open
access ensemble model

            GIS predictions: Red panda (*Ailurus fulgens*) in the
Hindu-Kush Himalaya region.

            Biological Conservation 181: 150-161.