[CODATA-international] Open Science at ITU

Hans Pfeiffenberger hp at hans-pfeiffenberger.de
Wed May 13 11:23:54 EDT 2020

Hi Paul,

as I "attended" EGU2020, three observations which might be of relevance:

a) As to transparency: This presentation
https://presentations.copernicus.org/EGU2020/EGU2020-9243_presentation.pdf
on "satellite datasets for automated agricultural land discrimination
in Afghanistan" by an author from a UK university shows that, on a
probably increasing number of issues, deliberate in-transparency is
not going to work any longer.

b) As to cloud-based access to data, there is a continuing (and
disturbing?) trend towards dominance of a very few cloud providers:
Significantly, NOAA seems to copy all of their data to the Microsoft-,
Amazon- and Google-Clouds, expecting third parties to access them
there: https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu2020-12386
And authors have yet another pyramid, which incorporates this approach.

c) All kinds of application of machine learning abound. Most of these
can certainly not be trained on a desktop, and on institutional
infrastructures only if those are quite rich. (And then, there is of
course a scarcity of experts to apply these methods properly). This
clearly evokes questions about equitable access ...

best regards,

Hans

P.S.: I read ("diagonally", as I must admit) the attachment to your
message below, but could not find how to access the AIS data, and
whether that access is open (cost-free).
With commercial providers, such as https://www.vesselfinder.com,
access to "historic data" is quite costly.

--
Hans Pfeiffenberger
Consultant, scientific data infrastructures & policies