[CODATA-international] UNESCO Global Consultations on Open Science

Horst Kremers office at horst-kremers.de
Sun May 3 07:10:22 EDT 2020

Now in case this venture is aimed at Science Diplomacy or Diplomacy in general, this should be made very clear even in the title.

Addressing diplomacy decision makers certainly has its own benefit, but good diplomacy is also based on very broad consultation with all kind of government and non-government organizations, experts, politicians and representatives from society as those of you being involved in such procedures will confirm.

(except diplomacy that does not work along best-practice lines, it happens sometimes ….     )

All UN instruments (declarations, programs, conventions etc.) explicitly call for all actor groups to be addressed and included from governance stage to decision support

and goal-reaching critique.

“Leave no one behind” is the UN message.

National implementations of UN instruments touch directly into every citizen’s life. This is why the recommended decision support is a basic element of all societal levels.

This adds to the complexity situation not only in terms of science disciplines but also all the way through actors levels.

Let me take the occasion to mention my concern about the use of the term “science data” (I recently commented the “Beijing Declaration” for including those massive information sources  from administration, private sector and other non-government sources)    :

Data generated far outside the science domains now seem automatically become “scientific” data the moment they are touched by scientists.

And how do you teach decisionmakers about the fact that all these actors in-line of the whole information production and use process and especially those touched by that decisionmaking should understand the whole process very well?  Yes, society has its critical voices also in the work of investigative journalism – just one of the growing concerns about missing implementations of independent auditing of exactly those decisions and the information basis these are based on.

For those that like a complex example please have a look into the late, recent and ongoing investigations of the hurricane Katrina disaster.

And:

If you have a joint meeting of practitioners and scientists, everyone agrees that these both actor groups are separated wider and wider (some call it “trenches”).

Information Society will not understand that situation and it is time to address much closer “joint forces” governance.

Horst

Horst Kremers, Engineering Management and Information Sciences

General Secretary CODATA-Germany
German National Committee for the ISC International Science Council (ICSU) Committee on Data

 <https://council.science/what-we-do/research-programmes/data-and-information/committee-on-data-for-science-and-technology-codata> https://council.science/what-we-do/research-programmes/data-and-information/committee-on-data-for-science-and-technology-codata

P.O. Box 20 05 48, 13515 Berlin, Germany

mobile        +49 172 3211738   (also on WhatsApp)

FAX             +49 30 3728587

FON            +49 30 20878902

mailto:office at Horst-Kremers.de

 <http://www.horst-kremers.de/> http://www.horst-kremers.de

CODATA-Germany e.V.  <http://www.codata-germany.org/> http://www.codata-germany.org

About CODATA:  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIAoAQu_qjs> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIAoAQu_qjs

RIMMA Community & Conference Series

Risk Information Management, Risk Models and Applications

 <http://rimma.org/> http://RIMMA.org