[CODATA-international] International FAIR Convergence Symposium convened by CODATA and GO FAIR: change of format and dates!

Asha CODATA asha at codata.org
Fri Jul 17 07:22:23 EDT 2020

Reflecting on good practices and challenges involved in putting on
successful online events, the organisers have decided to change the format
and the dates for the Symposium.

The International FAIR Convergence Symposium will now take place as a fully
virtual event from 30 November to 4 December. Please save the dates!

In order to facilitate the new approach, and in response to a number of
enquiries, we have also extended the deadline for submissions of session
proposals to 30 September and of posters and lightning talks to 31
October. Read
more
<https://codata.org/call-for-sessions-posters-and-lightning-talks-international-fair-convergence-symposium-2020-deadline-20-july-2020/>

We have reflected on numerous online events and lessons learned and decided
that trying to maintain a combined physical and virtual format posed too
many technical challenges. To ensure an engaging and dynamic event, with
clear outcomes, the organisers now envision the Symposium as a series of
online sessions, dispersed over one week to accommodate a range of
timezones as best as possible.

The symposium will feature plenary sessions, discussion sessions and
collaborative workshop sessions.  Each day will include sessions at
Asia-friendly times, Africa and Europe-friendly times and Americas-friendly
times. Recognising the challenges of virtual events, the programme will
ensure that there are substantial gaps between the sessions. We propose to
schedule sessions in parallel as necessary in each of these slots and we
will seek to accommodate excellent proposals in preferred slots to the
greatest extent possible.

As the Symposium theme is Convergence and discussion on FAIR
implementation, we wish to explore the interaction provided by a virtual
format to the greatest extent possible. Proposers are encouraged to ensure
that their session is dynamic, interactive and output-oriented.
Workshop-style sessions are strongly encouraged. The default duration of
sessions will be 120 minutes to allow for such formats. Session organisers
will be encouraged to post video presentations in advance of the session,
whenever possible, to support and maximise the time for discussion and
collaboration.

Register here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/international-fair-convergence-symposium-registration-105931185026

*Call for Sessions and Posters, Deadline 31
October https://conference.codata.org/FAIRconvergence2020/
<https://conference.codata.org/FAIRconvergence2020/>*

We hope that the new dates will work for those already registered for the
event. If not, please kindly contact us at conference at codata.org

Thanks,

Asha

--

___________________________

*Open Science for a Global Transformation:* CODATA-coordinated submission
to the UNESCO Open Science Consultation
<https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3935461>

*CODATA Virtual General Assembly 2020:* Report
on Voting, Presentations, Supporting Documents and Recording
<https://codata.org/events/general-assembly/general-assembly-2020/>

*CODATA Connect and Data Science Journal Essay Competition:* deadline 31
July 2020.
<https://codata.org/essay-competition-open-data-challenges-to-address-global-and-societal-issues/>

*CODATA Connect Smart and Sustainable Cities Datathon: *register by 31
August <https://codata.org/smart-and-sustainable-cities-datathon/>

*June 2020 publications*
<https://codata.org/blog/2020/07/01/june-2020-publications-in-the-data-science-journal/>
in
the CODATA Data Science Journal <https://datascience.codata.org/>

*Stay in touch with CODATA:*

Stay up to date with CODATA activities: join the CODATA International News
list
<http://lists.codata.org/mailman/listinfo/codata-international_lists.codata.org>

Looking for training and career opportunities in data science and data
stewardship?  Sign up to the CODATA early career community-run data
science training and careers list
<http://lists.codata.org/mailman/listinfo/data_science_training_lists.codata.org>

Follow us on social media! Twitter <https://twitter.com/CODATANews> -
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/codata.org/> - LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/simon-hodson-b3711a11/> - Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/codatainternational/>

Asha Law | Program Assistant, CODATA | http://www.codata.org

E-Mail: asha at codata.org
Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96

CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Council for Science), 5 rue
Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE