[CODATA-international] Crowdsourcing a collection of papers with Sustainable Development Goals

Dev Niyogi niyogi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 02:07:14 EDT 2020

I will follow on Andy's point regarding meteorological/ climatological
studies and journals. In some sense meteorology has always been open in
terms of its community models,  community sharing of data and products. The
journals from professional societies such as from the American
Meteorological Society, American / European Geophysical  Union, Royal Met
Society command excellent reputation and prestige.  I believe there is a
mixed model with some royal society journals not needing a page charge if
the paper is within a certain page limit. The AMS and AGU journals do not
seem to have that break point.

I have been amazed by the number of coauthors in recent years that have
become conscious about the impact factor as a criteria to publish their
work.I try to convey to them that they should only publish in journals that
they normally read papers from, and not try some journal just because it
has a vanity value or high impact factor. It is sadly not a battle that can
be always won.

The problem often is in the merit system too.  A collaborator argued, his
supervisor can count  how many papers he has published and their impact
factor and does NOT read what he has published. That is the crux of the
issue no matter what we do. This is further problematic in an all
encompassing field like environment and climate where it is not possible to
be an expert in every topic and theme.
But in conclusion I will add climate science, meteorology has progressed
because it has been open. The professional society's journals should
continue to be considered top irrespective of their impact factors and pay
or open or 'free' model.

I have started to see some hope with some of the interview panels i have
been part, there  was active questioning  about the journals the candidates
are publishing in. The message is getting across that authors need to be
more selective about professional society, versus commercial open journals.
Dev Niyogi