[CODATA-international] Data Governance Workshop at Academy of Management Meeting

Anne L. Washington washingtona at acm.org
Sun Aug 2 22:12:58 EDT 2020

For those of you planning on attending The Academy of Management (AOM)
remote Annual Meeting,  there will be an event about data governance
this Saturday.
<https://ocis.aom.org/events/eventdescription?CalendarEventKey=644843eb-9506-4956-ac32-a2417e7bec78>
Our interactive participatory session will consider the trade-offs and
synergies for the reuse of organizational data beyond an original
purpose. Although we sadly will not meet in Vancouver, this is a unique
opportunity to think about what happens to the traces we leave now that
every meeting, communication, and keystroke can be tracked.   This is
only one of three Professional Development Workshops (PDW) sponsored by
the Organizational Communication and Information Systems (OCIS) Division.

*Practicing Data Governance to Increase Benefits and Reduce Harms of Big
Data*

*Saturday, August 8*

*Syncronous Online*

*2:30-4:30  EDT *

Huge data stockpiles exist (and grow relentlessly) from digitalization
and ubiquitous (and mobile) IS.  Who controls access to and uses of
these data? How do we optimize data governance to address multiple
stakeholder interests and values, to ensure appropriate protections, and
also to unleash innovation?  This PDW will consider these challenging
issues from the perspectives of  organizational practices, technological
mechanisms, regulatory regimes, and multi stakeholder engagement. The
interactive workshop format includes brief presentations by the
organizers followed by roundtable discussions of problems and possible
solutions across socioeconomic sectors.

We hope to see you (virtually) there! (Registration for AOM virtual
conference is required; no cost or registration required for this PDW.)

Elizabeth Davidson, University of Hawai’i Manoa

Brian Fisher, Simon Fraser University

Jeffrey Nickerson, Stevens Institute of Technology

Anne Washington, New York University

Jenifer Winter, University of Hawai’i Manoa

*
*
*Links:*
https://ocis.aom.org/home (for extended description)
https://aom2020.aom.org (for AOM schedule overview and instructions for
accessing).

--
Anne L. Washington PhD
washingtona at acm.org
Assistant Professor of Data Policy
Applied Statistics, Social Science, and Humanities
New York University
Steinhardt School

annewashington.com
Digital Interests Lab
poliinformatics.org
Data & Society Research Institute Affliate
steinhardt.nyu.edu/faculty/Anne_Washington