[CODATA-international] October 2019: Publications in the Data Science Journal

Falk Huettmann fhuettmann at alaska.edu
Fri Nov 1 08:08:52 EDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,
thanks so much for those references.
Always good to know and to learn about progress, e.g. in magnetics or
ontologies.

Anyways,
considering we have real world problems at hand,
for decades, and those are not well addressed at all, the references
below help me nothing really (=marginal for me; sorry if I miss details)
for progress, considering we are in such
a crisis globally, also on open access, repeatability and transparency and
in the sciences (which are to lead society!)..

For examples that I want to see tackled for progress reports,
here a selection of just a few :

-when do IPCC and climate change scientists really are all Open Access
 (so that the public can actually see and understand the process and the
science and the data)  ?

-when do our fisheries data become GIS-based and open access, on a vessel
and catch-basis, e.g. EU, Canada, Brazil or US, China etc ?

-how about the migratory bird poaching data, e.g. Malta or UK and Germany
become open access (>12mio birds dead every year)
 And how about all the raw bird banding data, EURING, or in MOVEBANK by
MaxPlanck Institute, BAS, USGS etc ?

-research vessel data, e.g. Antarctica, and elsewhere ? And how about space
missions: NASA, India, China, Indonesia, Russia etc ?

-most remote sensing data (beyond old LANDSAT).

-how about open access data for the UN, FAO, The World Bank or the EU and
the White House, or the NATO etc ?

-at least in the U.S., China and in the EU, the hospitals do almost nothing
to help us working
 on developing leukemia or cancer cluster data and maps; not shared at all!

-impact study data on wind parks, or mine sites or nuclear site being
public as raw data, mandatory ?

-Academies of Sciences: many nations are NOT into open access data at all;
at least  not in a meaningful way

-nowadays, in the sciences, they are often based on R, but why not sharing
all R code used mandatory (github is Microsoft owned btw) ?

-metadata as the core problem unresolved globally

I await good answers on those type of questions relevant for the global
audience and public,
but I see almost no progress, certainly not in the sciences or in industry,
nor on the political side at all.

Instead, we are told that CERN , Svallbard DNA or astronomers put all their
data online, increasingly.
So nice, but the core issues - on earth and relevant for us people today -
often remain to be Open Access ones ,and it currently gets worse there
(I see that increasingly).

Thanks for that understanding and for the push for Open Access in the real
world.
It's pretty simple to achieve: "Just open it up with reason".

Kindly

   Falk Huettmann PhD, Professor
     Uni of Alaska Fairbanks