[CODATA-international] CODATA Data Science Journal: Revised Focus and Scope

Asha CODATA asha at codata.org
Tue Jun 11 05:41:54 EDT 2019

The DSJ editorial board has revised the *focus and scope of the journal*.
<https://datascience.codata.org/about> It is not a big change, but rather
one of clarification in a changing world. We primarily want to *specify* our
definition of 'data science' as the classic sense of the science of data
practices that advance human understanding and knowledge — the
evidence-based study of the socio-technical developments
and transformations that affect science policy; the conduct and methods of
research; and the data systems, standards, and infrastructure that are
integral to research.

We recognize the contemporary emphasis on data science, which is more
concerned with data analytics, statistics, and inference. We embrace this
new definition but seek papers that focus specifically on the data concerns
of an application in analytics, machine learning, cybersecurity or what
have you. We continue to seek papers addressing data stewardship,
representation, re-use, policy, education etc.

Most importantly, we seek broad lessons on the science of data.
Contributors should generalize the significance of their contribution and
demonstrate how their work has wide significance or application beyond
their core study.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Mark A. Parsons *editor at codata.org <editor at codata.org>* on behalf of the
Editorial Board *https://datascience.codata.org/about/editorialteam/
<https://datascience.codata.org/about/editorialteam/>*

Submissions *https://datascience.codata.org/about/submissions/
<https://datascience.codata.org/about/submissions/> *

Thanks,
Asha
--
___________________________

Registration Open: CODATA 2019 Beijing
<http://codata2019.csp.escience.cn/dct/page/1>, Towards next-generation
data-driven science: policies, practices and platforms, 19-20 September

*Call for Presentations and Posters: **CODATA 2019 Beijing*
<https://conference.codata.org/conference/CODATA_2019/call_for_presentations/>
-
deadline 24 June

*CODATA FAIR Data Training Activities:*
<http://www.codata.org/fair-data-training> a short report on *A Terminology
for FAIR Stewardship Skills Workshop*
<https://terms4fairskills.github.io/Announcement.html>, CODATA, Paris,
20-21 May 2019

*Call for Comments: White Paper on Next Generation Disaster
Data Infrastructure
<http://www.codata.org/task-groups/linked-open-data-for-global-disaster-risk-research/second-white-paper-on-next-generation-disaster-data-infrastructure>
*-
deadline 30 June

*Stay in touch with CODATA:*

Stay up to date with CODATA activities: join the CODATA International News
list
<http://lists.codata.org/mailman/listinfo/codata-international_lists.codata.org>

Asha Law | Program Assistant, CODATA | http://www.codata.org

E-Mail: asha at codata.org
Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96

CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Council for Science), 5 rue
Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE