[CODATA-international] GEO and Google Earth Engine announce a call to action for projects to monitor the pulse of our planet

Asha CODATA asha at codata.org
Thu Dec 12 02:37:23 EST 2019

<http://www.earthobservations.org/article.php?id=400>

Dear colleagues,

Shared data means everything to Earth observation researchers. If we hope
to solve global problems such as climate change, open data is at the heart
of finding answers. Sharing is at the heart of GEO’s latest call to action.

In partnership with Google, GEO will select 25 project proposals to receive
licenses for Google Earth Engine, to be used to tackle significant societal
challenges and improve understanding of our planet.

Google is providing these licenses, valued at US$3 million, to broaden the
use of Earth observation data. In keeping with GEO's goal of promoting
openly shared data, we require that the chosen projects offer the results
of their work to the open science community, including code, algorithms,
datasets and results.

Big data from openly available Earth observations offers a wealth of
opportunities for the open science community to produce new research and
applications, since these datasets supply critical, objective information
about the world’s oceans, forests, and key biodiversity indicators. All of
these represent vital signs regarding the health of our Earth’s ecosystems
and will help measure the pulse of the planet.

More details can be found on the website here
<http://www.earthobservations.org/article.php?id=400>.

*If you’re interested in proposing your project for a free Earth Engine
license, please submit your proposal via this Application Form
<http://www.earthobservations.org/documents/gee/201912_call/201912_geo_gee_application_form.docx>
to dcripe at geosec.org
<dcripe at geosec.org> by March 15, 2020.*

The GEO Secretariat
--
The GEO Secretariat
7bis, Avenue de la Paix

Asha Law | Program Assistant, CODATA | http://www.codata.org

E-Mail: asha at codata.org
Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96

CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Council for Science), 5 rue
Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE