[CODATA-international] REMINDER! Data Science Journal Deadlines Approaching: SciDataCon Special Edition, Open Science and African Research, 20 Years Persistent Identifiers

Asha CODATA asha at codata.org
Thu Oct 27 05:36:11 EDT 2016

,

Thank you for your participation in SciDataCon.  We hope you enjoyed the
conference and the rest of International Data Week and that the experiences
and conversations you had are still fresh and active in your minds.

*Special SciDataCon 2016 Collection in the Data Science Journal*
The present message is a reminder that all presenters at SciDataCon are
invited to submit a paper to the Data Science Journal http://datascience.
codata.org/ to be considered as part of a high-profile special collection
of papers from the conference.

Please note the following:

The deadline for submissions to be part of the SciDataCon 2016 special
collection has been extended to 31 October.
Submissions should be made at http://datascience.codata.org/

   - The submission should be a full paper (please see instructions on the
   Data Science Journal website ), not the abstract submitted for SciDataCon.
   - Even though an abstract was accepted for SciDataCon, the full paper
   submitted to the Data Science Journal will be peer-reviewed to ensure
   quality.
   - Given the number of papers expected we are unable to waive the Article
   Processing Charge (APC) for all papers, however the Data Science Journal is
   very competitive and has a progressive waiver policy for those unable to
   pay the APC: http://datascience.codata.org/about/submissions/

*Other Deadlines for Data Science Journal Collections*

Two other Data Science Journal Calls for Papers are open with deadlines
approaching:

*Call for Papers: “Open Data and African Research”*
This Special Issue aims to explore how, why, and to what end scientists in
developing countries, and particularly those in sub-Sahara Africa, share
and re-use data, and whether these activities differ from the priorities,
practices, and policies associated with research in other conditions. We
seek to attract papers that capture the challenges of conducting
research in low-resourced environments and the innovative ways in which
scientists overcome these challenges and produce/disseminate/use data
(whether in digital or other formats).  We would be happy to discuss
possible contributions with prospective authors over email.

Final deadline 20 December, but please contact the editors via
s.leonelli at exeter.ac.uk as soon as possible.  Further details at
http://datascience.codata.org/announcement/

*Call for Papers: Special Issue: 20 Years Persistent Identifiers*
Persistent identifiers (PID) for scholarly resources have been around now
for more than 20 years. Since the initial launch of the Handle.net
<http://handle.net> we have seen a proliferation of PID into many use
cases. Some PID systems have become established parts of the science
information infrastructure, in other areas we are seeing work in progress,
and new use cases being proposed. In addition to the PID use cases a number
of critical questions arise. These include:

   - What progress has been made - what works and what lessons have we
   learned?
   - Are there key gaps in the ways that research outputs are structured,
   accredited and exposed?
   - How are issues of interoperability between different PID systems to be
   handled, and what are the implications of doing so?
   - How do we ensure trust in PIDs and their long-term sustainability?
   What is the relationship between PIDs, metrics and data quality?
   - What are the roles of the various stakeholders, e.g. funders,
   publishers, researchers, learned societies, repository managers?

Areas of discussion in this issue include:

   - Usage of PIDs within and across disciplines (e.g. earth sciences, life
   sciences, medicine, digital humanities, cultural heritage)
   - New use cases (e.g. provenance, dynamic data, fine-grained access,
   reference, credit, metrics, quality, standards)
   - Communities of practice and governance around PID systems
   - New forms of scholarly output, communication, linked data and business
   models

The deadline is 31 October.  Please consult
http://datascience.codata.org/announcement/ for further details.

With very best wishes, etc.

Asha

On behalf of Simon Hodson, Executive Director, CODATA

http://www.codata.org

simon at codata.org