[CODATA-international] Reviews and comments requested on Draft White Paper: 'Gap Analysis on Open Data Interconnectivity for Global Disaster Risk Research'

Professor Krishan Lal klal at mail.nplindia.org
Sun Jun 26 04:10:58 EDT 2016

Dear Simon and Asha

I am very impressed with the multifaceted
activities of CODATA. Also, the next International Conference and
General Assembly is on the horizon.

I have taken the liberty of
nominating Professor Marcelle Gaune-Escard, Aix Marseille University,
France for an ordinary membership of Executive Committee of CODATA. She
has been associated with CODATA for a long time and has made important
contributions. She had served as a member of CODATA EC. I strongly
recommend her.

Im attaching the filled nomination form.

I give below
my preferred email addresses for your records:

<cochairkr at gmail.com>,
<presaassa.krish at gmail.com>.

---

Best wishes and regards

Krishan

Past President, CODATA
--------------------------------
Professor
Krishan Lal

Co-Chair, IAP, the Global Network of Science
Academies

President, The Association of Academies and Societies of
Sciences in Asia [AASSA]

Visiting Professor
University of Delhi,
Delhi

Former Director
National Physical Laboratory
Dr. K. S. Krishnan
Marg (Pusa Campus)
New Delhi-110012

Immediate Past President, Indian
National Science Academy, New Delhi-110002

Foreign Member, Russian
Academy of Science

Past President, ICSU CODATA

Phones:
+91 11 4560
9104; 4560 8513 (NPL); (o11)2766 6702/(Extn 348)(DU); 011 2232-1858
(INSA-AASSA)
+91 11 2583 6409; 4702 6374 (Home)

Fax: +91 11 4560 9310
(NPL)

On 2016-06-17 14:39, Asha CODATA wrote:

> REVIEWS AND COMMENTS
REQUESTED ON DRAFT WHITE PAPER: 'GAP ANALYSIS ON OPEN DATA
INTERCONNECTIVITY FOR GLOBAL DISASTER RISK RESEARCH'

> The CODATA
Task Group on Linked Open Data for Global Disaster Risk Research invites
external review and comment on a draft White Paper which presents a 'Gap
Analysis on Open Data Interconnectivity for Global Disaster Risk
Research'.

> Comments are invited by 30 September 2016. Comments may
be sent to the Task Group coordinators:

(ligq at radi.ac.cn);
Hongyue (zhanghy01 at radi.ac.cn);

> or may be made directly on a Google
Doc version at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u4v9NKJw6sWyIzpoQTJ4ELjp50KAO7c66Yz-WRQe-hA/edit
[2]

> Please consult both the summary document and the white paper
itself.

> * White Paper: Gap Analysis on Open Data Interconnectivity
for Global Disaster Risk Research
Interconnectivity for Global Disaster Risk Research

> From the
Introduction to the White Paper:

>> Gaps in data infrastructure,
data sharing policies and data use governance must be addressed to
unleash the potential of disaster research in helping regions,
especially the developing countries, to improve risk assessment,
reduction and mitigation. Two related areas are being studied: open data
, and data interconnectivity . The data­driven nature of disaster
research demands open access to scientific data, as it is impossible to
fully understand the cause and impact of a disaster event without
consulting multiple types of data. In addition to open data, disaster
researchers face perhaps a greater challenge -to find relevant data sets
in a "sea" of distributed and disparate data resources. The next
generation data infrastructure must provide linkage of data, helping
researchers to find relevant data across distributed data holdings.

>> As stated in the Sendai Framework, disaster risk reduction requires
a multidisciplinary approach and decision­making based on the open
exchange and dissemination of disaggregated data. It is urgent to
enhance the scientific and technical work on disaster risk reduction and
its mobilization through the coordination of existing networks and
scientific research institutions at all levels and in all regions. In
answering this call to the science community, it is of utmost importance
to promote and practice the collection, management, opening up and
sharing of scientific data related to disaster risk research, as well as
the employment of relevant technologies and applications, consistently
and globally. This white paper, supported by ICSU and CODATA
communities, aims at systematically analyzing the needs for the data
infrastructure proposed in the Sendai Framework and providing the
conceptual building blocks to help realize the Sendai imperative.

Our vision for the next generation disaster risk research data
infrastructure is an interconnected, collective repository of
observational and derived disaster­related data that is open,
discoverable, and easily accessible and usable by all, enabled by the
revolutionary digital technologies today and open access policy embraced
by users and providers.
>> This paper aims at identifying the gaps in
technology and relevant policies that prevent effective interconnection
of disaster related data and information for use in research, education
and public engagement. It examines the current state of information
technology for data management and sharing, as well as policies
regarding data availability at various levels, and discusses potential
solutions and examples toward open data and data interconnectivity for
disaster research.

> --
> This message has been scanned for viruses
and
> dangerous content by MAILSCANNER [3], and is
> believed to be
clean.

CODATA-international at lists.codata.org

[1]